The #Samsung #Galaxy #J3 is one of the budget smartphone models available in the market that offers all of the essential features needed for communications. This phone sports a 5 inch IPS LCD display and is powered by an Exynos 7570 processor combined with 2GB of RAM. It can even capture decent quality photos with its 8MP rear camera and its 5MP front camera. Although this is a solid performing phone there are instances when certain issues can occur which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the Galaxy J3 APN setting is greyed out issue.
If you own a Samsung Galaxy J3 or any other Android device for that matter then feel free to contact us using this form. We will be more than happy to assist you with any concern that you may have with your device. This is a free service we are offering with no strings attached. We however ask that when you do contact us try to be as detailed as possible so that an accurate assessment can be made and the correct solution can be given.
How To Fix Samsung Galaxy J3 APN Setting Is Greyed Out
Problem: I am really hoping someone can help me, I have been reading forums all day with no clear answers. I purchased a Samsung J3 from Costco, I was using it on the telus network previously and I have currently changed my provider to Rogers. Phone is working for calls and texts but no data I was advised to go in and change my APN, but when I get to the settings>network connections>Mobile networks >> access points. My option to change it is greyed out. I swear I had this issue prior to when I set up with Telus and they were able to get it working. Now however I have spoken to Rogers several times and even gone to the Rogers store and they can’t help me. I’m feeling very stressed out so if anyone has an answer to this or knows if I can be rectified please let me know.
Solution: Before performing any troubleshooting steps on the phone it’s best to make sure that it is running on the latest software version. If an update is available then I suggest that you download and install it first.
Posts you might like
One of the reasons why the APN setting is greyed out is due to a restriction in the phone software which could just be a glitch. To fix this follow the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Perform a Soft Reset
The first thing you should do in this case is a soft reset. This is usually done when the phone is unresponsive or when it suffers from a minor software glitch as its software will be refreshed.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down key for up to 15 seconds.
- Wait as the device restarts.
In case your phone model has a removable battery then just remove the battery then press and hold the power button for at least a minute. Reinsert the battery then turn on the phone.
Try to check if you are now able to change the APN settings.
Wipe the cache partition of the phone
If the soft reset you performed does not fix the problem then the next step is to wipe the cache partition of the phone. This will delete the temporary data stored by the phone software which if corrupted can cause this problem.
- Turn off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Home keys.
- Press and hold the Power key until the device vibrates, then release it. Keep pressing the Volume Up and Home keys the entire time.
- When you see the Android Recovery screen, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
- Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Wipe cache partition, then use the Power key to select it.
- Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Yes, then use the Power key to select it.
- Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Reboot system now, then use the Power key to select it.
Perform a factory reset
One last troubleshooting step to consider is a factory reset. This will revert the phone back to its original factory condition and will usually fix the problem in case is is caused by a software glitch.
- Turn off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the device logo screen displays, release only the Power key
- When the Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
- Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset.’
- Press Power button to select.
- Press the Volume down key until ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted.
- Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
- When the master reset is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
Once the reset is complete immediately check if you can change the phone APN settings. If it still can’t be accessed then this might be blocked by the phone’s current firmware version. You can try flashing a different stock firmware file to the phone to fix the problem. You can download the firmware file from the Sammobile website. Instructions on how to flash your phone can also be found at this website.
Feel free to send us your questions, suggestions and problems you’ve encountered while using your Android phone. We support every Android device that is available in the market today. And don’t worry, we won’t charge you a single penny for your questions. Contact us using this form. We read every message we receive but can’t guarantee a quick response. If we were able to help you, please help us spread the word by sharing our posts with your friends.