Nowadays, with advancements in techonology a television is no longer used just for watching tv programs but rather with smart TV you can do more than just doing that. A smart TV has more features than a regular television. Features such as being able to stream videos and music, play games and even browse the internet. LG is a well known company of Smart TV. There are differentchoices apps that you can download and install on an LG smart tv. This guide will show you how to download apps on LG smart tv.
Download Apps On LG Smart Tv
There are several categories of applications available to download and install apps. LG smart TV has it own webOS feature available on all smart TVs. Since it can download and install apps, users can choose for a wide variety of TV contents.
Downloading and installing apps on LG smart tv can be done in 4 different ways that usually works well with almost all smart TVs of LG. Read on below to know more.
First Method: Install Apps from LG Content store
If an LG smart tv is connected to an internet connection, you can easily access the LG content store. Basically, users can access LG webOS using the smart tv, and then connect the LG tv to a working internet connection.
The LG content store contains a huge selections of apps that you can choose to install and download.
To install apps from LG content store, follow the steps below:
- Make sure LG smart tv is connected to an internet connection.
- Press the home button on the LG remote control. Doing so open the LG content store
- Click Apps category. It is located at the upper right corner along with all other categories such as features, TV shows and movies.
- Choose from the list of app you want to add and then click Install.
- Once installation process is complete, launch app on the smart TV to enjoy it.
The storage on an LG Tv is not unlimited, it means that there’s a possibility that it can get full especially when there are a lot of apps installed. Not to worry when storage gets full as you can always use an external storage device by plugging it to the tv. Although when using an external memory device, it will only be used as a storage for apps but the apps will not be installed.
Keep in mind that not all apps may or may not be available for download in your country. But you can still download an app if you change the LG services country.
To do this:
- On your LG smart tv, click Settings
- Click All settings
- Click General.
- At right pane, click location tab.
- Click LG services country
- Select the country of choice
- A prompt message appears if you want to accept agreeent. Go through the agreement and then click Yes to confirm
- LG smart tv will restart to apply changes made.
- Afte tv completely rebots, go to LG content store. A list of apps will appear. Go throught the list of apps and add to your Smart TV.
Second Method: Install 3rd party apps
Although it is possible to download an app from LG content store, downloading third party apps from unknown sources is impossible since the tv does not run on Android OS. To be able to do so, streaming third party apps on your smart Tv can be done by using extensions that includes Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV and Firestick.
Not all LG smart tv can install third party apps, some models that is capable of installing an streaming third party apps includes LG OLED, LG UHD TV and LG Nano Cell.
In here, for reference purposes let us use Firestick to install apps using the steps below:
- Connect Firestick device using the HDMI port of LG smart tv.
- Power ON both the Firestick and LG Smart tv.
- Ensure that Smart tv is connected to an internet.
- On your LG Smart tv, make sure input channel is chosen. The input channel the Firestick is connected or plugged into.
- Log in to Amazon account. Doing so will have access to the Firestick features.
- Go through the different apps listed on the store and select the app you want to use.
You cannot download the app, but instead it will only allow you to stream the apps content right then and there.
Alternatively, a screen share feature is also available when sharing from your laptop or smartphone to LG smart tvs.
Third Method: Install apps using LG NetCast operating system
The NetCast operating system is a firmware of LG electronics. The Operating system was preinstalled on LG smart tvs between 2007 to 2014. With this operating system, LG partnered with other service providers such as AccuWeather, YouTube, Netflix, Orange Mobile and CinemaNow.
Follow the steps below to install apps using netcast OS (Note: the steps are applicable to LG smart tvs released before year 2014.
To do this:
- Connect LG smart tv to the internet.
- On LG tv remote, press the home button
- Browse and select Premium apps shown on the screen of the TV.
- Go through the list of apps on your LG netcast OS Television
- Do not forget to sign in to account.
- Wait app installation process to complete.
Fourth Method: Install app using LG Roku TV
Roku Tv is simple and easy to use. Most LG smart tv has a builtin Roku and the latest Lg tvs wirh roku includes the 55-inch, the LG 65-inch smart tv models.
To install apps on LG roku tv:
- Switch ON LG roku tv
- Mke sure LC Roku tv is connected to the internet.
- On Roku TV remote, press the home button. A menu appears
- Select the streaming channels option. The lists of channels will be displayed.
- Browse and select desired app you want to install from the list of apps
- Wait for installation process to complete.
- Launch the app and stream app content right then and there.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I install apps on Lg Smart TV when it is not available on LG Content store?
Apps not available on LG content store are mostly third party apps. As mentioned, you cannot install a third party apps from unknown soures. However, you can still stream content from third party apps on your smart LG tvs using extesions such as Chromease, AppleTV, roku and Fire stick.
- Is Google Play store avaialble in LG tv?
Since an LG tv runs on a different webOS, google play store is not supported. For a tv to support google play store, the tv should be running on an Android OS (Android device). Meanwhile, extensions such as Firestick, roku, chromecase and Apple TV can be used to stream third party content.
- What are the apps available on Smart LG tv?
A wide selection of apps are available for download on smart lg tvs. The most popular LG smart tv apps includes Netflix, Holu, Youtube, Amazon Video and a whole lot more.
Although you can only download and install apps on LG tvs running webOS, however, to gain access to third pary apps is also possible if you use extensions such as Fire stick, Roku, Chromecast and AppleTV.
To prevent low on storage space, you can always uninstall or delete the app or apps that you are no longer using to free some space. That way, there is enough space to downloading apps again from LG Content store.
That it, we hope that this guide has helped you download apps on your LG Smart Tv.
|LG||LG 24LQ510S-PU.AUS 24” HD Smart TV with webOS||Check Price on Amazon|
|Google Chromecast (3rd Generation) Media Streamer - Black||Check Price on Amazon|
|Roku||Roku Streaming Stick 4K | Streaming Device 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision with Roku Voice Remote and TV Controls||Check Price on Amazon|
|Amazon||Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote (includes TV controls), HD streaming device||Check Price on Amazon|
|Apple||2022 Apple TV 4K Wi?Fi with 64GB Storage (3rd Generation)||Check Price on Amazon|