Having problems using a microphone on Discord? If so, then performing a series of microphone tests can help you identify and fix the problem. Read on to learn how to test your microphone on Discord.
Discord App Overview
Discord is a popular communication platform that allows users to chat, voice chat, and video chat with each other. In this platform, users can communicate via voice, video and text. Discord is popular among online gamers, streamers, and professionals alike.
One of the key features of Discord is its built-in microphone function, which allows users to communicate with each other in real time using their voice.
Mic Test on Discord
It is recommended to test your microphone on Discord before joining a voice chat or call, especially if you are using a new microphone or are in a new environment. This will ensure that your microphone is working properly and that your voice is being picked up clearly by other users. Testing the microphone is also imperative when dealing with audio problems in Discord.
There are various ways for you to text the microphone in Discord. And these are as follows:
A. Using the Discord settings
You can test your microphone in Discord by going to the settings menu, selecting “Voice & Video,” and then selecting your microphone from the dropdown menu. You can then speak into your microphone and watch the input volume indicator to ensure that your microphone is working properly.
To test your microphone using Discord settings on an Android device, follow these steps:
- Open the Discord app on your Android device and log in to your account.
- Tap on your profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen to open the user settings menu.
- Scroll down to the App Settings section and tap on Voice & Video.
- Under the Input Device section, select your microphone from the dropdown menu.
- Speak into your microphone and watch the input volume indicator to ensure that your microphone is working properly.
You can also adjust the input volume and input sensitivity settings to optimize the performance of your microphone.
B. Using the microphone test feature
Discord also offers a built-in microphone test feature that you can use to test your microphone. To test your microphone in Discord using the microphone test feature, follow these steps:
- Open the Discord app on your device and log in to your account.
- Click on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to open the user settings menu.
- Click on Voice & Video under the App Settings section.
- Under the Input Device section, make sure that your microphone is selected from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Let’s Check button under the Input Volume section. This will initiate a microphone test.
- Speak into your microphone and listen to the playback. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
If the playback is too loud or too quiet, adjust the input volume and input sensitivity settings. If the microphone test is successful, your microphone should be working properly in Discord.
C. Joining a voice channel
You can also test your microphone by joining a voice channel in Discord and speaking to other users. This will allow you to hear your own voice and ensure that your microphone is working properly in a real-world scenario.
D. Using third-party applications
There are also third-party applications and websites that allow you to test your microphone, such as MicTest, Online Mic Test, and Mic Check. These tools can be useful for troubleshooting issues with your microphone and ensuring that it is working properly.
Microphone not working on Discord?
There are many factors that can hinder the microphone from working while on Discord. Should this happen to you, there are a few tweaks that you can do including the ones outlined below.
1. Check/Adjust Your Microphone Settings
The first recommendation is to check and/or adjust your microphone settings on Discord. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open Discord and click on the gear (settings) icon next to your username.
- Select Voice & Video from the settings menu on the left-hand side.
- Under the Input Device section, make sure your microphone is selected. If the microphone in use is not correct, tap the drop-down menu then choose the correct microphone.
- Test your microphone by speaking into it.
- While speaking, check the green bar (input level indicator) to the right of the Input Volume section.
The bar should move as you speak. If it doesn’t, then try to adjust the microphone volume or select a different microphone from the drop-down menu.
Also ensure that the microphone is properly connected and turned on. You can also try unplugging and replugging it to see if that solves the issue.
2. Adjust Your Microphone Sensitivity
If your microphone is not picking up your voice properly, you may need to adjust its sensitivity settings. Just follow these steps whenever you’re all set:
- Navigate to the Voice & Video settings in Discord.
- Under the Input Sensitivity section, click on the Let’s Check button.
- Speak into your microphone at a normal volume and watch the bar to the right of the Input Sensitivity section.
- Adjust the slider until the bar turns green when you speak, but stays yellow when you’re not speaking.
If your microphone is still not picking up your voice, try moving closer to it or speaking louder.
After making necessary adjustments to the microphone settings, head back to Discord and then perform another round of mic tests. You can use any of the above testing methods to see if your microphone is already working as intended.
If your microphone is still not working, try restarting the Discord app on your mobile device or computer.
What causes microphone issues on Discord?
There are several factors that can cause a microphone to stop working on Discord. Common factors that you need to consider ruling out are as follows:
- Connection problems. If your microphone is not properly connected to your device, or if there is a problem with the cable or USB port, it may not work properly with Discord.
- Settings issues. If your microphone settings in Discord are incorrect, or if the input volume is set too low, your microphone may not work as expected.
- Software conflicts. If there is a conflict between Discord and other applications or software on your device, it may cause issues with your microphone.
- Driver issues. If the drivers for your microphone are outdated or missing, it may not work properly with Discord.
- Hardware issues. If there is a problem with your microphone hardware, such as a damaged cable or faulty microphone element, it may not work with Discord.
- Network issues. If you are experiencing network connectivity issues, such as a slow or unstable internet connection, it may cause issues with your microphone on Discord.
And that’s all there is to testing the microphone function of the Discord application in computers and mobile devices.