The Don’t Starve not launching issue is usually caused by corrupted game data, outdated drivers, or even a game process that has not been terminated. You will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps on your computer to fix this problem.
Don’t Starve is a survival video game developed by Klei Entertainment which was released for the Windows , Mac OS, and Linux platforms in 2013. In this game you play as Wilson, a scientist who is trapped in the wilderness. You need to make sure that he survives and makes his way home. This game has an overwhelmingly positive review from players who have downloaded it from Steam.
Solved: Don’t Starve does not start in Windows 10
One of the problems that you might encounter when playing this game is when it will not launch. Here’s what you need to do to fix this.
- Restart the computer.
- Make sure that the game is not blocked by your firewall or antivirus software.
- Check if RivaTuner Statistics server or the MSI Afterburner software are running in the background. If so, close them.
Method 1: End any Don’t Starve process from the Task Manager
When you click on the game title and it doesn’t open then there’s a chance that the previous game process might be running. You should end this from the task manager.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
End game process
- Right click the Start button.
This can be found on the lower left side of the screen.
- Click on Task Manager.
This opens the Task manager window. If this is the first time you run this then make sure to click on More details on the lower left side of the window.
- Click the Process tab.
This is the first tab on top of the window.
- Right click the Don’t Starve process then click on End Task.
This will terminate the process.
Once you have completed these steps try opening Don’t Starve.
Method 2: Verify the game files to fix Don’t Starve not launching
Sometimes this problem can be caused by missing or corrupted game files. Here’s what you need to do if this is what’s causing the problem.
- Open the Steam launcher.
- Click the Library tab.
- Search for Don’t Starve.
- Right click the game then click Properties.
- Click the Local Files tab.
- Click the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
Wait for the process to finish then try running the game.
Method 3: Update your graphics card driver
There’s a possibility that this issue is caused by an outdated graphics driver. You need to make sure your computer has the latest driver installed. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card then here’s what you need to do.
- Right click on the NVIDIA settings icon.
- Click on NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Click the Drivers tab.
- Click Check for updates.
If you don’t see the GeForce Experience then you should download it first from here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/.
You can also update your graphics card driver from the device manager.
- Right click the Start button.
- Click Device Manager.
- Click the forward arrow before Display Adapters.
- Right click the display adapter then click Update driver.
- Click search automatically for drivers.
After performing the steps listed above you will successfully fix the Don’t Starve not launching problem.
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.