A regulatory filing with the SEC has revealed that Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha made $47 million dollars last year. That’s quite a lot considering the company is about to be purchased by Google, they haven’t had a super hit since the origina Droid and Jha is believed to be out after the Google Merger (which actually makes him more money).
Jha’s pay quadrupled from 2010 to 2011. According to Motorola it was his work splitting Motorola into two companies that warranted a $34 million dollar raise. He was most likely instrumental in the Google deal as well.
It was reported back in February that when the merger closes Jha would be out and Google Executive Dennis Woodside would assume command of Motorola Mobility under Google. What does that mean for Jha? Well we reported back in August that Jha has a pretty nice golden parachute. When he joined Motorola from Qualcomm he received 3.8 million shares of Motorola stock. He also received 2.9 million options. Jha’s 2.9 million options are valued somewhere around $62 million dollars. They vest when he’s been with the company 3 years.
While that’s great for Jha, what’s even greater is that his contract states if he leaves the company as a result of an ownership change, ie Google buying Motorola, those 2.9 million shares vest immediately.
Just about every mobile focused tech site today reported the news that Google Executive Dennis Woodside would be replacing Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha after the Google/Motorola merger is completed. Earlier this year reports had surfaced that Google’s Nikesh Arora could end up with the Motorola position.
What’s clear is that, post merger, current Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha would not be leading the new mobile hardware unit at Google. While Jha is often credited with turning Motorola Mobility around after a 3 year hiatus from producing hit devices, after the thunder behind the original Motorola Droid launch and a few Android devices following, the spark seems to have fizzled.
Google also likes to do things their way with people that are accustomed to the cargo shorts and t-shirts, 24 hour a day, ping pong between reports lifestyle that is the Google campus. Google has said that Motorola will still keep residence in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois, but it’s also apparent that the rigid corporate structure in place now may not be the best fit with the life of a Googler.
The Wall Street Journal reported early Thursday morning that sources close to the Google/Motorola merger and the United States Department Of Justice, have confirmed that the Google/Motorola merger is slated for approval next week.
Of course the merger still has a little time to be met with opposition from antitrust enforcers in the United States and abroad, however at this juncture it seems that won’t happen.
As we all know to well those same antitrust enforcers were strongly opposed to a deal proposed in March of last year for AT&T to buy T-Mobile.
Several Silicon Valley area websites are reporting that current Motorola Mobility CEO, Sanjay Jha may be out after the merger with Google is complete. If that’s the case Jha has a golden parachute and will be just fine, but who does that leave to run Motorola?
If the rumors circulating Tuesday are true than Google’s Senior Vice President, and Chief Business Officer, Nikesh Arora will fill that void.
According to Silicon Alley Insider (Business Insider), Arora was on the short list to become CEO of Yahoo. In a bid to keep Arora aboard at Google, the Motorola Mobility top spot may have been offered to him.
When Motorola Mobility CEO, Sanjay Jha, spoke on their 2nd quarter earnings call, Jha specifically said that in addition to the upgrade to the 3G Motorola Xoom, we could expect two more 4G/LTE tablets before the end of the year.
The tablet in the photo above may just be one of those tablets. It’s been rumored for quite some time that Motorola is working on a 4G/LTE beast of an Android tablet headed to Verizon. In addition to the speed and performance Jha has promised a fun and more mobile friendly 7″ tablet and TIMN thinks that this is the one.
As the Motorola Droid Bionic awaits it’s epic release on Verizon Wireless (reportedly September 8th), Motorola is preparing to embark on it’s third time up to bat with webtop accessories.
First introduced at the AT&T Developer Summit as part of CES back in January, the webtop accessories looked like they could be game changers in the world of mobile and smartphones. The Motorola Atrix was one of the highlights of AT&T’s 2011 Android lineup that was announced at the conference. Webtop accessories were to provide multitudes of extra functionality to the Motorola Atrix.
The webtop lapdock turned the Motorola Atrix into a netbook like experience similar to Google’s Chromebook. An webtop dock accessory allowed for the Atrix to be hooked up to a mouse, keyboard and external HDMI video source to emulate a “computer” experience.
Earlier in the year Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha announced that they would bring the webtop accessories to multiple devices. The next phone to get a portion of the webtop portfolio was the Motorola Photon 4G on Sprint. The lapdock however is not currently available for that device.
The Droid Bionic accessory line up was just revealed and it includes the webtop adapter that allows the phone to connect to another monitor source, mouse and keyboard. An HD station dock allows the user to connect their Bionic to an HDMI television. Finally, it looks like the Bionic will also have the lapdock available as well.
The Lapdock was $400 at AT&T we are expecting it to come in at half that, at the most on Verizon. We’ll find out for sure in the coming weeks.
Since last week’s announcement that Google is buying Motorola Mobility for $12.8 billion dollars most tech pundits have been repeating the fact that Google has no experience in the hardware business.
We tend to dispute this theory. They have the entire Danger team in house now including Sr.Vice President of Mobile, Andy Rubin and Danger’s OS guy Mattias Duarate. Although Rubin has never run a company the size of Motorola he definitely has experience in at least the handset design business.
One thing that hasn’t been revealed since Google’s big announcement is who will report to who. Google has repeatedly said that Motorola will function as a separate business, but they didn’t once say that Google wouldn’t have a say so in their operations. It would be silly for Google or any company to buy another and be totally “hands off”. Somewhere in the future, somehow, Libertyville is going to have to be accountable to the Google Plex. Will Motorola directly report to Larry Page? Will they report to Andy Rubin? Will Andy Rubin become Sanjay Jha’s boss?
We know without a doubt that Motorola and Verizon are teaming up for the Motorola Droid Bionic. It was originally announced alongside the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge and the LG Revolution at CES back in January (yes 8 months ago). More recently, Motorola Mobility CEO, Sanjay Jha, pegged down a September release. We are anxiously awaiting these last few days of August to end so that we can get on with our Droid Bionic love fest.
To add to the leaks, rumors, images, FCC outings and more, today Droid-Life got a copy of the next installment of Best Buy Mobile’s Buyer’s Guide which highlights the Motorola Droid Bionic next to the same three phones it was announced with back at CES. This Droid Bionic is a lot different than the what we saw at CES though.
Android Central has gotten their hands on what looks like an invoice for a pair of Motorola Droid Bionic’s from Verizon Wireless with the off contract price in tow. If this is a real leak than we are looking at an off-contract price for the Motorola Droid Bionic of $587.
At $587 dollars for the off-contract price it’s not too much of a stretch to think that Verizon Wireless will give the Droid Bionic a subsidized price of $249 or so. As Android Central points out a $299 price tag would probably turn people away. Even though pound for pound the Motorola Droid Bionic is going to be a better piece of hardware than the anticipated iPhone 5, it’s still an uphill battle to get the Droid Bionic into as many hands as possible.
Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha keynoted Tuesday at the Oppenheimer technical conference in Boston Massachusetts. A lot of what he talked about were things he originally addressed on the companies Q2 conference call and expanded upon at the conference.
He also talked about Motorola Mobility’s global initiatives, the tablet that are coming out this year, Ice Cream Sandwich, and the Droid Bionic.
The meat of his keynote came when he was asked about Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 platform and if Motorola would adopt it. Some analysts have been growing concerned about Motorola’s exclusive relationship with our beloved Android operating system. Jha said that he would consider Microsoft Windows Phone 7 if they could get a similar to deal to the deal Microsoft did with Nokia.
It may seem like we’ve been waiting forever for the Motorola Droid Bionic and the 4G/LTE upgrade for the Motorola Xoom tablet. In their second quarter earnings call Motorola Mobility CEO, Sanjay Jha acknowledged these delays. At the same time he revealed some interesting things.
Jha said on the call that Motorola Mobility will upgrade the existing 3G Motorola Xoom tablets to 4G/LTE in September. He also said that they will introduce two new 4G/LTE tablets before the end of the year.
It’s no secret that Android is the fastest growing mobile OS period. There seems to be at least one, if not more new Android devices released, announced or rumored every week. This intense drive, and growth in the Android ecosystem has really changed the playing field. Motorola, who was key to the success and early adoption of the Android operating system, seems to be struggling to stay at the top spot, and now Wall Street has chimed in.
Analysts are growing concerned about the delay Motorola has had in releasing 4G/LTE devices, after all HTC, Samsung and LG have all released a 4G/LTE compatible Android device on Verizon Wireless and while there were delays at the onset of each release (except for LG) all three handsets seem to be doing quite well. Motorola stood alongside HTC, Samsung and LG in January when they originally announced the Droid Bionic and the Motorola Xoom with a 4G upgrade.
There is only one word to describe the feeling a lot of us had at the Sprint/Motorola event last Thursday in New York City when Sprint CEO, Dan Hesse and Motorola Mobility CEO, Sanjay Jha unveiled the new Motorola Triumph headed to Virgin Mobile. That word is “WOW”.
First off the Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile was the only completely “original” device presented at the event and in the last few months in this new found partnership with Sprint.
More on the Motorola Triumph, including video, after the break (more…)
The recently released Motorola Xprt combines your personal life and your business life on one great device. It’s also the first “World” Android device on the Sprint Now Network.
Although the Motorola XPRT looks a lot like the Droid Pro on Verizon Wireless, it was built upon the same foundation and then improved. The Motorola XPRT is a high end, business ready Android device on the Sprint Now Network. It operates on Sprint’s CDMA network and includes a sim card slot for overseas travelers.
One of the ways the Motorola XPRT combines your work and personal life is through it’s profile capability. You can actually set two different homescreen profiles, one for work and one for play. Keep all your important business apps and widges on one secure profile while keeping your Facebook, Twitter, Music etc on another.