Sony just released the Android. 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Sony Xperia Z1 and the Z Ultra last December and now both devices are getting a minor firmware update. The company announced through its official Twitter account that the update will be rolling out to both models today which brings several improvements. “now rolling (phased): JB 4.3 firmware for #XperiaZ1 & #XperiaZUltra – brings display, BT music streaming, email, Wifi improvements and more!”
The update which has a build version of 14.2.A.1.136 is still a Jelly Bean update but with a few improvements which include the following.
- Adds a new setting for display calibration which allows the white balance to be changed by users
- Bluetooth music streaming
- Email improvements
- WiFi improvements
- Bug fixes
If you own any of these two devices and are having some issues with your current Android 4.3 build then I suggest getting this update which should resolve the issues.
Right now the update is being deployed in phases and only seems to be available via Sony’s PC Companion and Mac Bridge apps. An OTA (Over The Air) update might be coming soon.
Here’s how to update the Sony Xperia Z1 or Z Ultra using the PC Companion.
First make sure that you have the PC Companion application installed in your computer with the AutoPlay setting enabled.
To enable AutoPlay
- Click Start > Control Panel. In the search box, type “autoplay”, and then click AutoPlay.
- Mark the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices checkbox.
To install PC Companion
- Turn on your new Xperia device and connect it to a PC using a USB cable.
- In your phone, tap Install to install PC Companion on the PC.
- In your computer, if a pop-up window that appears notifies you about available PC Software, select Run Startme.exe.
- In your computer, click Install to start the installation and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
To update your Xperia device
- Turn on your Xperia device and connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
- From your computer wait a few seconds for PC Companion to start. If PC Companion doesn’t start automatically, you can start it from the start menu on the computer.
- Go to the Support Zone application, click Start, and then select the Phone Software Update option. Follow the instructions on the screen.