There have been reports from users not being able to install pending Windows update but instead getting an error message with Error code 80240025. The error has been reported not only on Windows 10 but in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as well. In here, we will talk about the reasons why this error code occurs and the recommended troubleshooting solutions that you can try to fix Windows update error code 80240025 on Windows 10.
What to do if Windows update Error code 80240025 occurs on Windows 10
Error code 80240025 can be caused by several factors that includes issues with Windows Registry, a corrupt system files, issues with Windows update service, to issues with the network. If you are unable to install pending Windows update, try the following solutions below to fix it.
But before performing the recommended troubleshooting solutions below its best to restart your computer first. This action refreshes the computer system and removes any corrupt system files that may have caused this Windows update Error code 80240025 to occur.
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 5 minutes
The very first thing that you need to do do fix Windows update related issues is to run Windows update troubleshooter. A built-in tool on Windows that scans your computer for problems and automatically repairs the problems if there are any found.
To do this:
Click Start menu or Windows icon located at the lower left
Or you can just simply press windows key on your keyboard.
Click Settings, an icon that looks like a gear.
This will open Windows Settings.
At Window Settings, click Update & Security
This will open the update and security settings page.
Click Troubleshoot at left pane
This will open the troubleshooter on your PC.
At right pane, click Additional Troubleshooters.
This will show you more troubleshooting procedures.
Under Get up and Running, click Windows Update
This will commence the troubleshooter.
Click Run the Troubleshooter.
Windows update troubleshooter will now detect problems. Wait for the process to complete.
After Windows Update troubleshooter is complete and it could not identify any problem, click Close to exit.
This should fix the problem already.
- windows pc
- Windows 10
Download Windows update again and then check if Windows Update Error code 80240025 still occurs.
Solution 2: Clear Windows update temporary cache folder
Another solution that you can do to fix Windows update related issues is to clean the Windows update cache.
To do this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN box, type services.msc and press Enter or click OK to open Services window.
- On Services window, scroll down and locate Windows Update.
- Right click on the Windows Update service and click Properties from the drop down menu.
- Under Service status, click Stop if the service status is running. If it is already stopped, leave it as is.
- Click OK to apply changes made.
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard again to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and press Enter or click OK.
- Press Ctrl + A to highlight everything on the folder.
- Right click on the highlighted entries and click Delete from the drop down menu. Confirm additional prompt.
- Go back to Services Window. Right click on the Windows Update service and click Properties from the drop down menu.
- Under Service status, click Start to start Windows update service to run.
check if Windows Update Error code 80240025 still occurs.
Solution 3: Reset Windows Update (WU) Components
If none of the solutions mentioned above did not fix Windows Update Error code 80240025, you may need to reset Windows Update components. User have claimed to have fixed Error code 80240025 when installing Windows update after resetting WU components.
To do this:
- Type Command Prompt at the search bar on your Windows located at the lower left.
- Right click on the Command Prompt result and click on Run as Administrator from the drop down menu for command prompt admin access.
- At Command prompt window, type the following commands and hit enter key.
- Type net stop bits and press Enter.
- Type net stop wuauserv and press Enter.
- Type net stop cryptSvc and press Enter.
- Type net stop msiserver and press Enter.
- Type ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press Enter.
- Type ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old and press Enter.
- Type net start bits and press Enter.
- Type net start wuauserv and press Enter.
- Type net start cryptSvc and press Enter.
- Type net start msiserver and press Enter.
- Click Close to exit.
- Restart computer.
Once computer completely reboots, check if Windows Update Error code 80240025 still occurs.
After following the solutions mentioned, you will successfully fix Windows Update Error code 80240025 On Windows 10. For more troubleshooting videos, feel free to visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel.