Charging problems are among the most common issues reported by smartphone owners across all platforms. Recently, we received quite a lot of complaints from Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus owners saying their phones no longer charge when connected to a wired charger. The thing about this problem is that it could be just a minor issue with the firmware or a serious problem with the hardware specifically the battery. That said, we’re compelled to address this problem for the benefit of our readers.
So, in this post, I will walk you through in troubleshooting your Galaxy S9 Plus that doesn’t charge. We will try to look into every possibility and rule out each one of them so we can determine the reason why the problem occurs in the first place. Once we know the cause of the problem, we may be able to formulate a solution that may fix it for good. So, if you’re one of the owners of this phone and are currently having similar issues, continue reading as this article may be able to help you one way or another.
Before going further, if you found this post because you were trying to find a solution to your problem, then try to visit our Galaxy S9 Plus troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed most of the commonly reported issues with the phone. We’ve already provided solutions to some of the problems reported by our readers so try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you and if you need further assistance, fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit.
How to troubleshoot Galaxy S9 Plus that won’t charge
First off, if you’re the owner of the phone, you should be the first one to know if the problem occurred after the phone has been exposed to water for a long time. I understand that it has the IP68 certification which makes it dust and water resistant but then again, the phone isn’t totally waterproof. Given the right circumstances, water can still enter your device and mess up the circuits. Likewise, if the device has been dropped on a hard surface and then this problem started, then it might be due to physical damage. Either it’s water or physical damage, you should bring the phone immediately to the shop or back to the stored so that a technician can check it up for you. But assuming the problem started without apparent reason or cause, then you should try troubleshooting it as there’s always a chance that you can fix it on your own and with all that being said, here’s what I suggest you do about this problem.
- Perform the Forced Restart procedure – if you’ve been an owner of a phone with a removable battery, you may have tried pulling the battery out when your device froze or stopped working. But since your Galaxy S9 Plus doesn’t have a removable battery, you can’t do that anymore. But the thing is Samsung didn’t take that away, it hard-wired its devices with non-removable batteries to respond to the forced restart when a combination of keys are pressed and held correctly. So, in this case, you just have to press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together for 10 seconds or more. If your phone reboots normally after this, then there’s a chance that it would charge again so connect it to its charger.
- Perform Forced Restart while charging – assuming the first procedure failed to fix the problem, you should connect the phone to its charger regardless whether it responds or not and leave it connected to it for 10 minutes or so. After which, perform the forced restart procedure again but this time while the device is connected to its charger. This procedure is effective when the phone has a black screen or not responding because it could be that the device crashed and ran out of juice. Most of the time, this method will fix the problem but then there’s no guarantee.
- Solved Samsung Galaxy S9+ Takes Too Long To Reboot
- How to make unresponsive Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus respond again (easy steps)
- What to do if your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus is stuck on the logo and won’t boot up (easy steps)
- What to do with Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus that went completely dead and won’t turn on (easy steps)
- What to do if your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus is not recognized by your computer? [Troubleshooting Guide]
So, after this and your phone is still not responding to its charger, you should try the following procedures depending on the situation you’re in.
- If your phone has a black screen and not responding, try connecting it to a computer using its original cable because maybe the charger itself is busted. If it still won’t charge or even respond to a computer, then it’s a perfect time to bring it to the service center so that a technician can diagnose properly what the problem really is and hopefully fix it.
- If your phone is still powered on and everything is working properly except charging, then make sure that the charger is working properly and that there’s no break in the cable. You may try to connect your phone to a computer to know how it responds. If it does respond normally to the computer, then the problem could be with the charger.
- If you badly need to charge your device, you should try using the wireless charger. It doesn’t just replenish the battery, it would also tell you if the problem is with the phone’s wired charging capability or if the wireless charging has also been affected. But regardless whether the phone charges wirelessly or not, you should see a technician so that the issue will be rectified.
- On the other hand, if the problem started after an update, you must try wiping the cache partition or even doing the master reset before you bring the phone to a technician because if the problem is with the firmware, it should be fixed by one or both of those procedures.
I hope that this troubleshooting guide have helped you one way or another. If you have other issues with your device that you want to share with us, feel free to contact us anytime or leave a comment below.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- How to fix Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus that won’t turn on (easy steps)
- What to do if your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus starts to run slow (easy steps)
- How to fix your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus with Black Screen of Death (easy steps)
- How to Factory Reset or do the Master Reset on Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and when to use them
- How to fix Spotify that keeps crashing on Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus (easy steps)
- How to fix Facebook app that keeps crashing on Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Galaxy S9 Plus email setup error: “The username or password is incorrect or POP3/IMAP access isn’t turned on for this account.”