The Motorola Moto G7 is the newest addition to the company’s great array of smartphones at a very affordable price. It comes packed with pretty impressive hardware specs but just like any other smartphones, it’s not free of issues. In fact, we already have readers who reported to us about the most common issue wherein the phone won’t turn on or respond for some reason. Contrary to what others think that it’s a hardware problem, it’s actually just a minor issue with the firmware, which you yourself can fix.
In this post, I will guide you in fixing your Moto G7 that won’t turn on. I will also share with you the most effective solutions you can use to make your device respond again. So, if you’re one of the owners of this phone and are currently stuck on the black screen, continue reading as this article may be able to help you one way or another.
For owners who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common problems with this device. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar to yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us by filling up our Android issues questionnaire.
Fixing Moto G7 that won’t turn on
You don’t need to do very complicated troubleshooting procedures to try and fix this problem. What you have to do is rule out the possibility that it’s just a minor firmware issue because all the rest are supposed to be done by an authorized technician. With that being said, here’s what you have to do to fix a Moto G7 that won’t turn on…
First solution: Force restart your phone
This is such a very simple procedure but it’s very effective against this kind of problem. It’s because most of the time, the reason why your phone is stuck on a black screen and won’t turn on is that the system has crashed. When it happens, it’s natural for the phone to become unresponsive even if you connect it to its charger. No matter how many times press and hold the power key, your Moto G7 won’t turn on unless you did this procedure:
- Press and hold the Power key for 15 seconds or more.
Most of the time, the phone will respond to this procedure and the moment you see the logo on the screen, that’s a sign that the problem is fixed. However, if your Moto G7 is still not responding after this, try doing the same procedure a few more times before moving on to the next solution.
Second solution: Charge your phone and do the forced restart
Having a drained battery is a natural occurrence for smartphones but there are times when this leads to a system crash. When a smartphone like the Moto G7 is left alone until the battery is drained, there’s always a possibility that the system would crash just before the device turns off. It’s because some of the services and components may not be properly shut down. As a result, you’d be dealing with a couple of pretty minor issues that both leave the phone unresponsive. To address this, here’s what you need to do:
- Plug the charger to a working wall outlet.
- Using the original cable, connect the phone to its charger.
- Regardless of whether the phone shows the charging symbol or not, leave it connected to the charger for at least 10 minutes.
- After which and while the phone is still connected to the charger, press and hold the Power key for 15 seconds or until the logo shows on the screen.
If the phone remains stuck on a black screen after doing these procedures, then it’s time to take that trip back to the store and have the tech check the phone for you. However, if you were able to make the phone respond again but the problem occurs every now and then, you need to reset your phone.
Prior to the reset, create a copy of your important files and data, and then remove your google account so that you won’t be locked out after the reset. Follow these steps to perform the master reset on your Motorola Moto G7:
- Back up data on the internal memory.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold the Power button and the Volume down button.
- When the phone turns on, release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume down button until you see the Recovery screen.
- Use the Volume Keys to scroll to RECOVERY MODE, then press the Power button.
- When you see the Android with the exclamation point, hold the Power button and press Volume up. Then release both buttons.
- Use the Volume Keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset, then press the Power button.
- Use the Volume Keys to scroll to Yes, then press the Power button.
- Use the Volume Keys to scroll to Userdata + personalized content, then press the Power button
- Wait until the device finishes formatting and brings you back to the menu.
- Use the Volume Keys to scroll to Reboot system now, then press the Power button.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix your Motorola Moto G7 that won’t turn on. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter. You may also visit our Youtube channel as we publish helpful videos every week.