Are you wondering if there’s a way to sync your Fitbit device to a computer instead of to a phone? Luckily for you, there’s definitely a way and it’s easy to do. In this short tutorial, we’ll show you how to do that.
Before we proceed, we want to remind you that if you are looking for solutions to your own #Android or Fitbit issue, you can contact us by using the link provided at the bottom of this page. When describing your issue, please be as detailed as possible so we can easily pinpoint a relevant solution. If you can, kindly include the exact error messages you are getting to give us an idea where to start. If you have already tried some troubleshooting steps before emailing us, make sure to mention them so we can skip them in our answers.
How to sync your Fitbit device to your computer | Fitbit app for PC and Mac
Ideally, you want to sync your Fitbit device to your mobile. This setup is convenient and easy to configure. However, leaving Bluetooth connection turned on all the time can put pressure on your phone’s battery. If you don’t want to shorten the battery life of your phone, you can either manually sync your Fitbit device to your mobile, or use a computer to do the same task. You can easily monitor your progress by simply syncing your Fitbit to your computer instead.
Requirements to sync your Fitbit device to your computer
There are a few things that you must have in order to sync your Fitbit watch or tracker to your computer. Unlike other devices like smartphones, your Fitbit device can’t simply be connected to a Mac or Windows PC via USB cable. In order to transfer data or sync from Fitbit device to a computer, a USB connection must be established between them first. So, if your computer is not Bluetooth ready, or does not support Bluetooth, you’ll have to do something about. Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to do. Below are the basic things your computer needs:
- Bluetooth capability
- Bluetooth dongle
- Fitbit Connect app
Most new laptops already have built-in Bluetooth support that are compatible with most Fitbit devices. All you have to do in this case is to open Bluetooth in your computer and do a scan. If it detects your Fitbit device, then you’re good to go.
On a Mac, you can check your Bluetooth version by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your menu bar. Go to About this Mac > More Info > System report > Bluetooth > LMP version.
In Windows, you can check your Bluetooth version by clicking your Control Panel. Go to Device Manager > Bluetooth. If you see Bluetooth LE Enumerator, then your computer supports Bluetooth LE 4.0.
If your computer does not have built-in Bluetooth, then you’ll need to get a Bluetooth dongle first. This is small gadget that you insert in your computer’s USB port in order for your computer to communicate with your Fitbit. Any Bluetooth dongle should work but we highly recommend that you get an official Fitbit dongle to avoid incompatibility issues.
How to sync Fitbit device to your Mac computer
To sync your Fitbit to your Mac computer is easy. Here’s how it’s done:
- On your Mac, go to www.fitbit.com/setup.
- Scroll down and click on pink button called Download for Mac.
- Double click the file. (You’ll see it download as .dmg file.)
- When the Fitbit Connect installer opens, click “Continue” until the app is installed on your Mac.
- Once Fitbit Connect is installed, insert the Fitbit sync dongle into your computer’s USB port (this is not needed if your Mac has compatible Bluetooth LE 4.0).
- Wait for the software to recognize your device.
- Click “Set Up New Device.” Create a login or log in to your existing account.
- Go through the Terms of Service.
- Create your personal profile.
- Select your Fitbit tracker. Place your Fitbit close to the wireless dongle.
- Follow the instructions to trigger the Bluetooth connection between your Mac and Fitbit.
- Once your Mac finds the device, enter the pairing code that shows up on your Fitbit’s display. (If you have a Fitbit Flex, you won’t get a pairing code. Follow the onscreen instructions and rapidly tap the device when prompted.)
- Click “Connect,” and your tracker will sync your activity data to the your Mac’s Fitbit account. The entire process may take sometime so be patient and don’t interrupt the system.
How to find Fitbit app on Mac
There are two methods to find the Fitbit Connect app. One is by clicking the Launchpad icon on the lower part of the screen and find the Fitbit Connect app. The other way is to open the Finder window and search for Fitbit Connect in the Applications folder.
Once you’ve launched the Fitbit Connect app, there should be two options for you:
- Set Up A New Fitbit Device, and
- Sync Now
To sync your your Fitbit device to your Mac computer, click on Sync Now. This works right away if your computer finds your Fitbit device.
How to sync Fitbit device to your Windows computer
If you have a Windows computer and you want to sync your Fitbit to it, follow these steps:
- Go to www.fitbit.com/setup. Scroll down, and click “Download from Windows Store.”
- Double click the file. (You’ll see it download as a .exe file.)
- When the Fitbit Connect installer opens, click “Continue” until the app is installed on your PC.
- Once the software is installed, insert the Fitbit sync dongle into your computer’s USB port (this is not needed if your Mac has compatible Bluetooth LE 4.0).
- Wait for the software to recognize your device. Click “Set Up New Device.”
- Create a login or log in to your existing account.
- Go through the Terms of Service.
- Create your personal profile.
- Select your Fitbit device. Place your tracker close to the Fitbit USB dongle.
- Follow the instructions to trigger the Bluetooth connection between your PC and Fitbit.
- Once your PC finds the device, enter the pairing code that shows up on your Fitbit’s display. (If you have a Fitbit Flex, you won’t get a pairing code. Follow the onscreen instructions and rapidly tap the device when prompted.)
- Click “Connect,” and your tracker will sync your activity data to the your PC’s Fitbit account. The entire process may take sometime so be patient and don’t interrupt the system.
To sync your Fitbit device to your Windows computer, make sure that the USB dongle is inserted and working. Also, make sure that you Fitbit device is within 20 or 30 feet of the dongle. Then, open the Fitbit Connect app on your computer and select the Sync Now option. If your Fitbit tracker or watch is connected to your PC, it will sync your data successfully.
Engage with us
If you are one of the users who encounters a problem with your device, let us know. We offer solutions for Android-related problems for free so if you have an issue with your Android device, simply fill in the short questionnaire in this link and we will try to publish our answers in the next posts. We cannot guarantee a quick response so if your issue is time sensitive, please find another way to resolve your problem.
If you find this post helpful, please help us by spreading the word to your friends. TheDroidGuy has social network presence as well so you may want to interact with our community in our Facebook and Twitter pages.