Firmware updates for the Garmin Vivosmart 4 are rolled out every now and then to fix known issues as well as add new features. Many things have been improved since Garmin trackers first reached the market and as one of the owners of this tracker, you should be able to update it without any problem.
However, issues occur from time to time as these devices aren’t perfect but it doesn’t mean that it’s a serious problem. There’s always something you can do if your Vivosmart 4 won’t update and I will guide you in this post on how to troubleshoot your tracker to make it up-to-date.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop in on our Galaxy Watch troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our questionnaire.
If your Garmin Vivosmart isn’t updating properly, here’s what you should do…
- Reboot your smartphone and Vivosmart 4.
- Update tracker through Garmin Connect Mobile.
- Update tracker using Garmin Express.
- Factory reset Vivosmart 4 and update it.
First of all, you should make sure that the connection between your phone and your Vivosmart 4 is stable. To do so, reboot your phone first and connect your tracker to a computer so that it will be rebooted.
Once both devices have been rebooted successfully, try updating your Vivosmart 4 by using the Garmin Connect Mobile app on your smartphone. Updates have to be rolled out first before your tracker can update its firmware. You will be notified if there are updates and if your tracker hasn’t been updated successfully. If updating through the app won’t work, then the next procedure may help.
On your computer, download and install Garmin Express. It’s about 86 MB in size so downloading it may take a few seconds depending on your connection. Once the installation is finished, launch Garmin Express and connect your Vivosmart 4 to your computer. Add the device and everything will be automatic here on out. But make sure you also have a Garmin Connect account for it to work.
After doing this and the tracker is still not updating, factory reset it and update it after that. It should work this time. Here’s how to reset your Garmin Vivosmart 4:
- Delete the Garmin Connect app from your phone.
- “Forget” the device in your phone’s Bluetooth settings and disable Bluetooth on your phone, then reboot your phone.
- Clamp the VivoSmart into its charger, and plug it into your computer.
- Erase all files and directories on the VivoSmart when it comes up as a USB drive on your computer.
- Eject the VivoSmart USB device from your computer.
- Disconnect the VivoSmart from the charger
- Re-install Garmin Connect on your phone.
- Re-enable Bluetooth on your phone.
- Put your Vivosmart into “pairing mode” — documented in your manual — and re-pair your VivoSmart as below:
- Open Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone.
- Touch the Home Menu button
- Touch Devices
- Touch the “+” in the upper-right corner
- Touch Health and Fitness
- Touch vivosmart
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the pairing process
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!