Hard reset, also known as factory reset, is one of the important solutions that an end user can do when troubleshooting the ASUS ZenFone 5. It basically refreshes the software by deleting non-system critical addition like user customizations, apps, files, and other forms of data. Before you hard reset on ASUS ZenFone 5, you want to make sure that it has at least 15% battery life. Better still, you want to keep it plugged in throughout the process.
Also, you want make sure that you remove the Google account from the device. This will ensure that you won’t encounter any issues later on with Factory Reset Protection.
Doing a hard reset will delete the following:
- Email accounts
- System and app data
- App settings
- Downloaded apps
- Media (Music, pictures and videos, etc.)
- Personal data such as photos, videos, etc. that are stored in the internal memory.
Before we proceed, we want to remind you that if you are looking for solutions to your own #Android issue, you can contact us by using the link provided at the bottom of this page. When describing your issue, please be as detailed as possible so we can easily pinpoint a relevant solution. If you can, kindly include the exact error messages you are getting to give us an idea where to start. If you have already tried some troubleshooting steps before emailing us, make sure to mention them so we can skip them in our answers.
Method 1: How to hard reset on ASUS ZenFone 5 under Settings menu
If there’s no problem going to Settings menu, then we suggest that you factory reset your ASUS ZenFone 5 using the steps below. Factory reset is an effective solution to fix common software problems. If you are troubleshooting your device and the issue appears to linger no matter what you did, factory reset might help
You won’t be able to factory reset your device if you can’t enter the screen unlock option (PIN, Password, Pattern, etc.)
- Create a backup of your personal data such as photos, videos, messages, etc.
- Tap on Application icon.
- Open Settings app.
- For Android 7.0 and below：Tap Backup & reset in Settings.
- For Android 8.0：Select System > Reset in Settings.
- Click Factory data reset and proceed.
- Tap on Click the Reset device button.
- Tap on Erase everything to confirm.
Method 2: How to hard reset on ASUS ZenFone 5 using hardware buttons
If you are unable to factory reset or hard reset your device using the first method above, the next good thing to do is to try booting to Recovery Mode. Once the phone has loaded to Recovery Mode, you can then use a combination of hardware keys to wipe it clean. Here’s how to do it:
- If possible, create a backup of irreplaceable data in your internal storage before performing a master reset. If not possible, skip this step and proceed to the next one below.
- Turn off the device. This is important. If you can’t turn it off, you’ll never be able to boot to Recovery Mode. If you are not able to shut the device off regularly via the Power button, wait until the phone’s battery is drained. Then, charge the phone for 30 minutes before booting to Recovery Mode.
- When device is off, press and hold volume down key.
- Press and hold power key.
- After the device vibrates, release power key (keep holding volume down key) to enter recovery mode.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset” by volume down key (or volume up key), and then press power key.
- Select “Yes — delete all user data” by volume down key (or volume up key).
- Press power key to start reset.
- After reset is completed, select “reboot system now” and press power key to reboot your device.
- Set your phone up again.
Engage with us
If you are one of the users who encounters a problem with your device, let us know. We offer solutions for Android-related problems for free so if you have an issue with your Android device, simply fill in the short questionnaire in this link and we will try to publish our answers in the next posts. We cannot guarantee a quick response so if your issue is time sensitive, please find another way to resolve your problem.
If you find this post helpful, please help us by spreading the word to your friends. TheDroidGuy has social network presence as well so you may want to interact with our community in our Facebook and Google+ pages.