Some of us may forget important things that may not have of great consequence. However, if you forget how to unlock your phone nowadays, we’re pretty sure that it’s going to cause you headaches, especially if you don’t know what to do next. Today’s brief tutorial will show you the three methods to unlock your Galaxy J5 if you can’t remember your PIN, Pattern, or Password.
Before we proceed, be reminded that we provide answers to Android problems. If you are looking for solutions to your own #Android issue, you can contact us by using the link provided at the bottom of this page. When describing your issue, please be as detailed as possible so we can easily pinpoint a relevant solution. If you can, kindly include the exact error messages you are getting to give us an idea where to start. If you have already tried some troubleshooting steps before emailing us, make sure to mention them so we can skip them in our answers.
Problem: How to unlock Galaxy J5 screen if you forget PIN, Pattern, or Password
My phone is in ultra power mode and I can’t remember my pattern I tried shutting it down but that didn’t work and I tried the samsung find my phone option but they won’t work because my phone is not connected to the wifi. Except for a factory reset which I won’t do because I haven’t backed it up recently what should I do and cannot perform due to the lock mode of the phone.
What to do if you forget your Galaxy J5 screen unlock option?
Ideally, you’re not supposed to forget your screen unlock option (PIN, Pattern, or Password).Phone makers like Samsung has to balance the need to secure the phone from unauthorized access and legitimate demand to unlock the screen if a user forgets the unlock option. To attain the said balance, both Samsung (manufacturer) and Google (the Android developer), came up with ways to allow users to unlock a screen as long as basic requirements are fulfilled.
Right now, there are only three ways to unlock a Samsung Galaxy J5 screen if you can’t recall your screen lock option:
- Android Device Manager
- Samsung Find My Mobile
- Factory or Master Reset
Below are the steps to use each of them.
Method 1: Unlock your Galaxy J5 screen using Android Device Manager
This should be the first option that you need to try as it uses Google’s own remote access to your device. Android Device Manager can only work if you’ve previously signed in to your Google account in your phone, before you forgot how to unlock it. You won’t be able to use this if there’s no Google account added in the device, or if you are using a different account altogether. Other basic requirements include the following:
- phone is powered on
- phone is connected to wifi or mobile data
- phone’s GPS or location is turned on (ADM may still work without this though)
If any of these requirements is not met, there’s a chance that you won’t be able to use ADM to unlock your Galaxy J5. However, if everything is set, you can proceed to unlocking the device by doing the following:
- Go to the Android Device Manager in your computer or another smartphone.
- Find your Galaxy Galaxy J5 on the screen.
- Enable “Lock & Erase” feature.
- Follow the given steps on the page to lock your phone.
- Set a temporary password.
- Enter the temporary password on your J5.
- Create a new password.
Method 2: Unlock your Galaxy J5 screen using Samsung Find My Mobile
If you can’t use ADM for some reason, then the other option to remotely unlock the screen is via Samsung’s own Find My Mobile feature. In order for it to work, you must have registered your device in Find My Mobile website or service ahead of time. And like ADM, it also requires some things. Below are the necessary things that must be met in order for you to use it:
- Find My Mobile is enabled
- Google location service is enabled
- phone is connected to wifi or mobile data
If you’ve already registered your device to Samsung’s Find My Mobile service before and the rest of the requirements are met, you can then do the following to unlock your phone:
- In your computer, go to Samsung Find My Mobile website and sign in.
- If you have multiple devices registered, make sure to select the correct one in the upper left hand side of the screen.
- Click on the arrow icon to begin searching for your device.
- Once the service has located the device, scroll down the options on the right until you see Unlock My Device option.
- Click Unlock My Device.
- Enter your Samsung password.
- Click Unlock.
Method 3: Unlock your Galaxy J5 screen with Factory reset or Master reset
If you are unable to do the first two options above for whatever reason, factory reset should help. Keep in mind though that if there’s a Google account added to the device, you want to make sure that you can supply the correct username and password after a factory reset. Otherwise, your J5 will be locked forever due to Factory Reset Protection.
Factory reset will, of course, wipe the device’s internal storage. If you did not back your files up before the phone got locked, they are good as gone now.
To factory reset your Galaxy J5:
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy J5 completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and the Home buttons first, and then press and hold the Power key.
- Keep the three buttons pressed and when ‘Samsung Galaxy J5 shows, release the Power key but continue holding the other two.
- Once the Android logo shows, release both the Volume Up and Home buttons.
- The notice ‘Installing system update’ will show on the screen for 30 to 60 seconds before the Android system recovery screen is shown with its options.
- Use the Volume Down key to highlight the option ‘Yes — delete all user data’ and press the Power key to select it.
- When the process is complete, use the Volume Down key to highlight the option ‘Reboot system now’ and hit the Power key to restart the phone.
- The reboot may take a little longer to complete but don’t worry and wait for the device to become active.
Engage with us
If you are one of the users who encounters a problem with your device, let us know. We offer solutions for Android-related problems for free so if you have an issue with your Android device, simply fill in the short questionnaire in this link and we will try to publish our answers in the next posts. We cannot guarantee a quick response so if your issue is time sensitive, please find another way to resolve your problem.
If you find this post helpful, please help us by spreading the word to your friends. TheDroidGuy has social network presence as well so you may want to interact with our community in our Facebook and Google+ pages.
- Problem: How to unlock Galaxy J5 screen if you forget PIN, Pattern, or Password
- What to do if you forget your Galaxy J5 screen unlock option?
- Engage with us