Unlike the Samsung Galaxy S9, you cannot disable Bixby on the Galaxy Note 9. The option to deactivate it isn’t there and Samsung did confirm that it intentionally disable such feature. Apparently, they want users to use it as your phone assistant. Well, for some, Bixby could be helpful but for most of the users, it just gets in the way too often because a slight touch on the button will immediately bring you to the Bixby screen. No one can tolerate that.
But there’s good news, actually. Samsung confirmed they’re already working to add a feature on the lock screen to disable the Bixby button. It will be implemented via an update and the timeline is supposed to be by the end of September. So, if you’ve recently updated your Note 9, try to check if you can now disable Bixby without any trouble. However, if the update hasn’t been rolled out yet, here are a couple of workarounds you can use.
- Tap and hold a blank space on the home screen.
- Scroll to Bixby home screen.
- Toggle the switch on the top-right corner of the screen to disable it. Now the Bixby home screen is disabled.
- To disable the actual Bixby button, press it once to launch Bixby.
- Tap the More icons (3 dots) located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Choose Settings.
- Touch Voice wake-up and then turn it off.
- Go back to the Settings page and tap on Bixby key.
- If you don’t have an option to disable it yet, then select the option Press twice to open Bixby.
By doing the steps above, you’ve disabled 3 of Bixby’s services; the Bixby home screen, Bixby voice and Bixby button. Well, we haven’t disabled it per se, we just changed its settings so that it won’t pop-up immediately once the button is pressed once. After this, you have to double press the button quickly to open it and that would lessen the times you will have to deal with it.