Mid-range and high-tiered smartphones would eventually slowdown from wear-and-tear. Even the ones that packed a bulky storage can succumb into performance degradation from constant usage. And this is when performance issues start to surface. Among the first common symptoms to emerge include but not limited to sluggish or slow performance, random app crashes, frozen display, and random restarts, to name some.
The solutions I’ve mapped out below are used to deal one of these issues and that is on slow or sluggish performance affecting the Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone. Read on to find out what possible solutions to try in order to clear out software issues that caused the device to slow down and get it to perform better and faster again.
For smartphone owners who found our site while trying to find a solution, try to see if your phone is one of the devices we support. If it is, then visit the troubleshooting page for that device, browse through it to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. However, if you still need our help after that, then fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Before troubleshooting software errors on the phone, check the current status of your phone’s internal memory. If the available storage space is less than 1GB, then that denotes that need to free up some space.
First solution: End all background apps then perform a soft reset.
Background apps are useful in terms of multitasking. Keeping frequently used apps running in the background allows you to switch between apps by simply flipping the app previews. However, these apps can also cause the phone system to slow down especially when any of them crashed or get corrupted. Background apps often get corrupted after installing a system update. As remedy, simply clear all or end all background apps and then soft reset your Xperia XZ Premium smartphone with these steps:
- Press the Recent apps button (square figure) from the home screen.
- Select the Active apps icon.
- Select End next to the required application.
- Alternatively, tap the End All button to clear all running apps at once then tap OK to confirm.
After clearing all background apps, perform a soft reset on your Xperia XZ Premium with these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds.
- Release the button when the menu options appear.
- Tap Power off and then tap OK. Your phone will then shut down.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the phone reboots.
Allow your device to finish restarting then see how it works afterwards. If it’s still performing very flow, move on and try other possible solutions.
Second solution: Delete unwanted apps and contents.
Memory problems like when the phone’s internal memory is shrinking may also be the main reason why your device is performing slower than it should. In fact, sluggishness is just one of the many symptoms of memory-related issues among smartphones. To make sure this isn’t the underlying cause, check the current memory status of your Xperia XZ Premium smartphone. If the phone’s internal memory is significantly low, then free up some space by deleting all unwanted apps and old files you no longer use from your device.
- To check the available memory of your phone, go to Settings-> Storage menu. Then review the current memory status and other relevant details.
Aside from deleting unwanted files, moving or transferring some important files from your phone to an external storage media like SD card can also be considered an option.
You can also use Smart Cleaner to improve your device performance by automatically optimising storage and memory based on frequency of app use.
- To enable Smart Cleaner on your Xperia XZ Premium, go to Settings-> Assist-> Smart Cleaner, then drag the slider to enable the feature.
To uninstall unwanted apps, follow these steps:
- Tap to open the Apps screen.
- Tap Play Store.
- Slide your finger from left to right.
- Go to My apps & games.
- Tap INSTALLED.
- Select the app you want to remove or uninstall.
- Tap UNINSTALL then OK to confirm.
Forcing the phone to shutdown and reboot can also help clear some space of your phone’s internal memory and improve performance.
There are instances when you think that the phone is slowing down but actually it’s only slowing down when using a certain app. In this case, the problem is isolated to an application. This is usually what happens when the app is misbehaving or corrupted. To remedy the problem, installing the latest update for that app is recommended. Here’s how to check for pending app updates and manually update apps on your Xperia XZ Premium smartphone:
- Tap to open the Apps screen.
- Scroll to the right then tap Play Store.
- Tap the Menu icon (three vertical lines) on the upper-left side of Google Play.
- Go to My apps & games.
- Select the Updates tab to view the list of apps with pending updates.
- To update individual apps, tap the Update button next to the name of the app.
- To update all apps at once, tap the Update All button on the upper-right of the screen.
Reboot/soft reset your phone once all apps are finished updating.
Fourth solution: Update phone software to the latest version.
Aside from app updates, installing the latest system update for your Xperia XZ Premium can also help improve and optimize its performance. If you haven’t yet updated your device software to the latest version, then this is the right time to do it. Just make sure your phone has Internet access, sufficient memory space, and battery life. To get started, check your phone’s current software version with these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap System.
- Tap About phone.
- Tap Build number.
A refresh icon will show up in the status bar when a software update is available. To download and install the new system update, continue with these steps:
- Open the notification panel by dragging the status bar downwards.
- Then scroll down and select the desired system update.
- Tap on Download to start downloading the new update on your phone.
- Wait until the download is complete.
- Open the Notification panel then tap Install. The new update installation will then commence.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update installation.
Alternatively, you can navigate to Settings-> System-> Software update menu. If a system update is available, tap CONTINUE then tap INSTALL NOW to start installing the update file.
Before you download the update, make sure your phone has ample of memory storage space and at least 50 percent battery. A strong and stable Internet connection through Wi-Fi is also necessary.
Fifth solution: Master reset/factory data reset.
The last ultimate solution to consider if all prior methods failed to fix the problem is a master reset or factory reset on the phone. This will erase everything from the device including errant files, corrupted data, downloaded apps, and other personal files stored on the phone’s internal memory. In short, you will lose critical data in the process. On the positive note, your phone will have a totally clean fresh start as if it’s new. Before you proceed, back up all important data to an external storage media for safekeeping. Then follow these steps to reset your Xperia XZ Premium to its factory defaults:
- Tap Settings.
- Go to System.
- Select Reset.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset phone.
- If prompted, enter your screen unlock password, PIN, or pattern to continue.
- Then tap Erase everything to confirm reset.
Allow your phone to finish resetting and then reboots automatically when done. After it reboots, you can continue with the initial setup process and set your phone as new. Software-related performance issues should already be cleared at this point. Otherwise, hardware repair is needed.
If you’re using a microSD card, try to unmount then remove the SD card from your device. Corrupted SD card files can also affect the overall performance of the phone, so it’s also imperative to rule that out.
Service may be considered among the last options if your Xperia XZ Premium started to slow down after it was dropped or exposed to liquid. In that case, there is a chance that it has obtained some sort of physical or liquid damage, which needs repair. Otherwise, report the issue to your device carrier so they can give further recommendations.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
- How to troubleshoot Sony Xperia XZ Premium that’s running very slow?
- First solution: End all background apps then perform a soft reset.
- Second solution: Delete unwanted apps and contents.
- Third solution: Update apps on your Xperia XZ Premium smartphone.
- Fourth solution: Update phone software to the latest version.
- Fifth solution: Master reset/factory data reset.
- Other options