The Google Chromecast is one of our favorite devices, giving consumers a cheap and efficient way to stream content to even their old TVs. All your TV needs is an HDMI port (or even an HDMI adapter) and you can stream any content you want it to it with the Chromecast plugged in. But, as it goes with all types of technology, things might not work properly or will error out in all of the wrong ways. Luckily, there’s always an easy way to fix this: a factory reset. A factory reset will reset a device to its factory settings, essentially what it looked like when it came out of the box. It’s a fresh start and clears up most software problems that a device is having.
So if you’re having trouble with your Google Chromecast, be sure to follow along below. We’ll take you step by step on how to reset it to factory defaults.
Resetting your Chromecast
So you want to reset your Chromecast? Before we get started, try restarting it before we do a factory reset. You can even unplug it from your TV and remove power to it. After a few minutes, plug it back in and see if that changes anything. If not, we can follow the steps to factory resetting the device — keep in mind that this will erase all settings and preferences you have on this Chromecast. You’ll have to relink it to your Google account, too.
- Open up the Google Home app on your smartphone or tablet
- Next, navigate to the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) at the top left corner of the Google Home app.
- In the drop-down menu, select the Devices option.
- Next, locate your Google Chromecast from the list of devices, and select the menu button, represented by three vertical dots next to your device.
- Click on the Settings option.
- You should know be able to navigate through the device’s interface. We’re going to tap another hamburger menu button at the top right corner of the screen,
- Select the Factory Reset option.
- A message will pop up asking you if you’re sure that you want to do this. Press the button that clearly says RESET.
Congratulations, you’re now factory resetting your Chromecast device! In just a few moments your Chromecast should be back to the settings and state it was in when your first purchased the device and pulled it out of the box.
As you can see, it’s super easy to reset your Chromecast device to factory settings. With just a few minutes of your time, you can clear up most software/hardware issues that you’re having with it this way.