We received quite a lot of requests for assistance from #Samsung #Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (#S6EdgePlus) owners and among the most common issues reported were related to text messaging, which covers both SMS and MMS. Text messaging is the most basic service as far as cellular phones are concerned and basic phones actually don’t have much issues with. So, why does a phone as powerful as the S6 Edge+ have a lot of issues with its texting service? It’s because of the new features and other sophisticated services like picture sharing, swipe texting, etc.
The first and second problems I cited here are basically, the same but I had to explain some things about the occurrence of second problem that’s why I separated them. But the real issue with them is that simple texts are being converted to group conversations. Read on to understand more about the issues I included in this post and learn how to deal with them in case you’ll encounter one in the future.
To our readers who have other issues, make sure you visit our S6 Edge+ troubleshooting page for we have already addressed a lot of issues with this device. Odds are that there are already existing solutions to your problem and all you got to do is find them. So, browse through the page and find issues that are the same as yours. You may also contact us through our Android issues questionnaire in case you need further assistance.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus receives text messages as group conversation
Problem: After I updated to Marshmallow (sent to device from T-Mobile) I started having issues with my text messages. It only happens with other Android users no matter what carriers they use. I can send a single text to one single person. When they respond it comes back in a new thread as a group message with that person and myself. I turned off the auto populate group message setting but it’s still doing it. I have cleared cache, power cycled and master reset multiple times. I have seen a few threads about messaging but can’t seem to find one directly related to this issue. Help!
Answer: There is actually a different setting to enable/disable group conversation. Go to Settings > Applications > Messages > More settings > Multimedia messages > disable Group conversation. I think this is the only thing you can do so your device won’t convert text messages into group conversations.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus converts text into group conversation
Problem: Incoming texts from my husband list both me and him, as if it’s a group text. When I reply it only goes to me, he never receives the reply. If I start a new text to him it only goes to him, but the next text from him has both of us. I tried removing myself as a recipient, but the next incoming text from him still lists both of us. We tried deleting the threads, it does not work. Please help!!
Answer: First off, this problem is probably the same as the first issue I cited but I just want to address it separately as I have some explaining to do. I don’t know the reason why you have to add your own number when texting your husband but the thing is when the Group Conversation is enabled and the phone detects there are more than one contact in the Contacts field, it will automatically convert the simple text message into a group conversation. Whether or not Group Conversation is enabled in your husband’s phone, once the replies, it will be seen under the same thread.
Now, you said you started a new text to your husband with only his number in the Contacts field and it went through but once he responds, his messages contains both of your contact info. The reason why this happens is because his phone also auto-converts texts to group conversation.
What you need to do is delete all the group text threads in your phone as well as your husband’s and start a new text message with only his phone number in the contacts field. If the problem still occurs, then you have no other choice but to go to Settings > Applications > Messages > More settings > Multimedia messages > disable Group conversation. That should fix it.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus can’t download MMS after an update
Problem: Since updating to 6.0.1 I can’t download received mms messages it says I’ve received a message them click download but it always fails. On the old version it would just download the pictures automatically.
Answer: When it comes to MMS messages, mobile data is very important, in fact, it’s required. So, make sure mobile data is enabled and then try to download again. If the problem still happens, then it must be the APN settings that got messed up during the update. If you know what the correct APN for your phone (try to google it), then make necessary changes. If you don’t, then contact your service provider and have the rep set it up for you.
Question on Galaxy S6 Edge Plus message notification sound
Problem: SMS notification is set for 3 notification sounds to alert me. This morning (as an example), my notification sound went off 5 times before I answered it, BUT one of the notifications seemed to overlap another. There was only one message. Could another message have come in and didn’t show?
Answer: It might have been a long text message that was split into a couple of parts but got automatically combined upon receipt. That might be the reason why there was an overlapping notification sound.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus data not working, messages can’t be downloaded
Problem: Text messages received, but are unable to be loaded. Messages can be sent. Able to receive and deliver calls. Data isn’t working either.
Answer: I was going to ask you what kind of message won’t load but since you said your phone’s data isn’t working, it’s safe to assume you were referring to MMS or multimedia messages. This problem can be fixed if you can fix the mobile data issue. So, first off, make sure mobile data is enabled in your phone. If it is and you still can’t get connected to the internet through mobile data, then it must be the APN settings that have issues. Try googling the APN for your phone but if you can’t find it, call your provider and have the rep set up the correct settings for you device.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus can’t send picture messages
Problem: I recently updated my S6 Edge Plus but I don’t know if that’s the problem or not. But when I try to text pictures to people it just says sending…. & won’t send them.
Answer: Has the problem already existed prior to the update or not? If so, then it’s not the update that caused it. But the issue must have something to do with your phone’s ability to connect to the internet using mobile data so make sure it’s enabled. If it is but the problem still occurs, then it must be the APN settings. Try calling your provider and ask for it or let the rep set it up for you.
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus get’s extremely hot when using Messages app
Problem: Cannot open, receive, or send messages. Screen goes black. Phone gets extremely hot while operating. (Message: messages not responding please wait).
Answer: It might be a minor issue with the app or a serious problem with the firmware. The first thing you need to do is clear the cache and data of the Messages app.
- From any Home screen, tap Apps.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll to ‘APPLICATIONS,’ then tap Application manager.
- Swipe right to the ALL screen.
- Scroll to and tap Messages.
- Tap Clear cache.
- Tap Clear data button, then OK.
If the phone still heats up when the messaging app is used, then try to boot in safe mode and try to use the app there.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Once you see the Samsung logo, release the Power key immediately but continue pressing the Volume Down key.
- Your phone should continue booting up and you will be prompted to unlock your phone as usual.
- You will know if the phone successfully booted in safe mode if the text “Safe mode” is displayed at the lower-left corner of the screen.
Once the phone is in safe mode and still heats up, try wiping the cache partition and lastly master reset if all else fails.
How to wipe cache partition
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key.
- When the phone vibrates, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
- When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
- Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
- Press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
How to perform the Master Reset
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys together.
- When the device powers on and displays ‘Power on logo’, release all keys and the Android icon will appear on the screen.
- Wait until the Android Recovery Screen appears after about 30 seconds.
- Using the Volume Down key, highlight the option, ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and press the Power key to select it.
- Press the Vol Down button again until the option ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted and then press the Power key to select it.
- After the reset is complete, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and hit the Power key to restart the phone.
I hope this helps.
CONNECT WITH US
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus receives text messages as group conversation
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus converts text into group conversation
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus can’t download MMS after an update
- Question on Galaxy S6 Edge Plus message notification sound
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus data not working, messages can’t be downloaded
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus can’t send picture messages
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus get’s extremely hot when using Messages app