When HTC announced the HTC One (M8) there were reports circulating that the company would also introduce another variant of the device that costs cheaper yet retains most of its high end features. Now the company has officially announced the latest addition to the One family called the HTC One (E8). This new device is very similar to the M8 save for its use of a polycarbonate body and its dual-SIM option.
HTC CEO Peter Chou said that “The HTC One (M8) sets a new smartphone standard and now we’re taking it in another exciting direction. Combining style and substance, the HTC One (E8) represents the incredible experience people expect from an HTC One device with a look and feel that’s unlike anything else out there today. If you’re looking for the best flagship smartphone experience, but want to stand out from the crowd, this is the phone for you.”
The first thing consumers will notice about this device is that its body isn’t made of the same premium metal material as the current flagship smartphone but instead uses a unibody plastic frame. It still retains the sleek design and appearance though and has the same 1080p 5 inch display.
Another difference of the E8 is that it uses a 13MP rear camera with a single LED flash while the M8 uses a dual 4MP camera with dual LED flash. Its front facing camera is the same at 5MP which makes the device ideal in taking those selfie shots.
The other features of the E8 are quite similar to the M8
- Motion Launch: Allows a user to control the shortcuts of the device without turning the phone on. This allows a phone call to be answered simply by raising it to the ear or activating the camera simply by tapping on the volume rocker
- HTC BoomSound: The dual front-facing stereo speakers provide an immersive audio experience that makes it best for watching movies or playing games.
This device also comes with its own unique set of features such as
- Dual Curve Design: The device is designed to fits naturally in your hand in virtually any position.
- Selfie Perfection: The 5MP front facing wide-angle camera has several feature that makes it best for taking selfies such as a countdown timer and a suite of editing software.
- Dual SIM card holders: Able to access two networks at the same time
The HTC One (E8) will be initially launched in China and will come in four different colors which are Polar White, Electric Crimson, Maldives Blue, and Misty Gray. It is expected to cost CN¥2,799 or about $450. Its price is almost half that of the premium HTC One (M8) which should be able to gain the interest of people on a budget.
- Dimensions: 146.42 x 70.67 x 9.85mm
- Weight: 145g
- Screen size: 5.0 inches
- Screen resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 (441 ppi)
- Screen type: S-LCD3 with Gorilla Glass 3
- Battery: 2,600mAh (non-removable)
- Internal storage: 16GB
- External storage: MicroSD (up to 128GB)
- Rear camera: 13MP, f/2.2
- Front camera: 5MP, f/2.0, BSI, wide-angle lens
- Video capture: 1080p
- SoC: Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (2.5GHz in Asia/China; 2.3GHz in other regions); Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM: 2GB
- SIM slot: Dual Nano SIM
- Operating system: Android 4.4.2, Sense 6.0