The Samsung Galaxy S5 is one of the best Android smartphones out in the market today. This does not mean however that it doesn’t suffer from a few bugs as some owners of the T-Mobile version of the device have experienced. The problem affects the way owners of the device receive SMS/MMS which intermittently arrives.
T-Mobile initially released an update to the Galaxy S5 to fix the bug that causes the intermittent SMS/MMS receiving failure last May 22. The update which weighed 131.31MB brought the device to Android version 4.4.2/ Baseband G900TUVU1ANE5 and was supposed to fix the issue. Well, the issue has been fixed however another problem caused by this update has appeared which forced the carrier to suspend it temporarily.
Those who have already downloaded the update have reported slow download speeds using their device along with decreased LTE coverage. While this issue isn’t affecting everyone who have downloaded the update the problem is serious enough for T-Mobile to pause the update first and see why this is happening.
A couple of members at the xda-developers forum posted their experiences on the latest update.
- I just made a ticket with t-mobile about the terrible data speeds. I strongly suggest anyone with data speed problems please do the same so that t-mobile can solve this as fast as possible.
- Be carefull the new modem appears to give you terrible download speeds. Trying to get the old modem back. any ideas?
- Yeah same here, used to get close to 40mbps, now it seems to throttled to about 1mbps. Anybody else seeing this??
T-Mobile announced on its website that “The Samsung Galaxy S 5 Software update to G900TUVU1ANE5 via OTA or Kies has been paused. This post will be updated when further details are available.”
One the carrier has resolved this issue the update will be released and will be available OTA or through the Kies software over Wi-Fi.
To check what software version your device is using follow the steps given below.
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- On the General tab, tap About device.
- Read the Baseband version on the phone
Once the update becomes available again and you wish to update your device make sure to fulfill the following requirements.
- 50% or higher battery life
- Data connection
- 135 MB available memory (File size of update: 131.31 MB)
OTA Update Procedure
- Drag down the Notification bar and tap on the T-Mobile update service message.
- Tap Start.
- A restart message will appear, tap OK.
Kies Software Update Procedure (Make sure you have the latest Kies Installed)
- Open the Samsung Kies application.
- Allow the application to detect the device and display an available update notification.
- Follow the on screen prompts to complete the update.
For Kies update to be successful you must enable USB Debugging on your device and select Media device (MTP) at the phone prompt when connecting the phone to the USB port of a PC.