This is apparently the third part of our AT&T Galaxy S3 Problems and Solutions and since we still have hundreds of AT&T customers who emailed us, you will be reading a lot of articles like this in the following weeks.
If you own a Galaxy S3, we have already published fifteen parts you may want to browse to see if we’ve already addressed your problems. Links can be found below:
If you are a Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile or Straight Talk customer and also have problems with your Galaxy S3, please find visit the appropriate link provided after the break.
- Solutions To Sprint Galaxy S3 Problems After 4.3 Update
- Verizon Galaxy S3 User Problems and How To Fix Them [Part 2]
- Solutions to Straight Talk Galaxy S3 Problems and Errors
- T-Mobile Original Galaxy S3 (T999) Problems and Solutions
If your problems aren’t mentioned in our posts, don’t hesitate to email us at [email protected]. You can also post on our Facebook wall or PM us and I guarantee I would respond as soon as I can. For owners who prefer to use Google+, we also have a Google+ page you could follow. We dedicated a page on our site to guide you how to get support, please head to our Troubleshooting Page for instructions.
#1. AT&T Galaxy S3 WiFi stopped working
Problem: Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from AT&T and I think last night there was an update so I took it. After the installation, my Wi-Fi won’t come on. It searches for available networks and then stops. The switch says it’s Off, so I tried again but the same thing happened. Can you advice please? — Marco
Solution: It could be just a minor glitch since you just updated your phone. There are data that needs to be cleared or replaced with newer ones after the update. So, why don’t you boot your phone to Recovery Mode and wipe the cache partition from there. After that, boot it up normally and try connecting a WiFi network once again. If the problem wasn’t solve, then you have no other option but to backup your data and perform factory reset.
#2. AT&T Galaxy S3 uses almost 90% of RAM
Problem: Hello guys, thanks for all the service you provide for us Android users. I have an issue with my phone. I already called AT&T about it but the reps seem not to know what to do to fix it. Basically, the issue is that my phone, a Galaxy S3 smartphone, is eating up its entire RAM. Almost 90% of RAM are used and I’m not doing anything on it while that happens. Eventually, the phone would slow down that it would take 5 seconds to open the message app or the phone dialer. Do you have a solution for this, please. Thanks. — Samantha
Solution: This is a very broad problem so let’s narrow it down. Boot your phone to Safe Mode and check whether the phone is still eating up its entire RAM. You see, boot to safe mode will disable all third-party apps and services leaving the phone with nothing but pre-installed apps to run. If there is a huge difference in RAM usage, then third-party apps are causing the problem. Otherwise, it would be the pre-installed ones that needed to be closely observed.
If it were the third-parties that cause the problem, go to Application Manager and display all ‘running’ apps. Disable each third-party app until RAM usage decreases. However, if the pre-installed apps are causing this, backup your data and perform factory reset.
#3. AT&T Galaxy S3 mobile data problem
Problem: For some reason, my phone isn’t displaying the usual mobile data icon on the notification bar even if mobile data is enabled. How can this be? It used to display the icon before but now it doesn’t. I’m using the S3 on AT&T network.
Solution: Sometimes the phone needs to ping the tower to get connected. In this case, make sure mobile data is switched to on then open an app that requires internet connection. That should take care of the problem, otherwise, boot the phone to recovery and wipe the cache partition. That’s one of the most effective way to bring the phone to its optimal settings without doing factory reset.
#4. AT&T Galaxy S3 clock doesn’t work
Problem: I’m on AT&T and using the Galaxy S3. Lately, I noticed that the clock isn’t updating when I lock my phone. For instance, I lock my phone at 10 am, it would remain as is 30 minutes later. When I unlock my phone, the clock on the notification bar is just fine with correct time. How can I fix this?
Solution: It’s just a glitch with the clock widget. There are just some data that need to be cleared off the phone’s memory. You can do so by going to Settings > Application Manager > All tab > Clock > Force Stop, Clear Cache and Clear Data. You may lose your settings and personalization as well as your alarms but this is necessary to fix this issue.
#5. AT&T Galaxy S3 screen doesn’t stays on
Problem: I have a very annoying problem. Recently, there was an update so I downloaded it. Everything went fine and the phone is never better. However, I noticed that when someone calls me, the screen doesn’t turn off whenever I hold the phone to my ear. That’s very inconvenience considering the phone is hot and the screen adds up to the heat. How can I turn this thing off when in call? Oh by the way, it’s a Galaxy S3 on ATT. Thanks. — Miranda
Solution: The recent update may have just messed up a setting or two on your phone ma’am. But don’t worry, your problem is no problem at all. There’s a way to turn the screen off when you hold it near your face. Just follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap the Apps icon.
- Tap the Phone application.
- Tap the Menu key, and the select Call Settings.
- Tap or uncheck the ‘Auto screen off during calls.’
- Your phone’s screen will stay on during calls from now on.
I hope this helps.
#6. AT&T Galaxy S3 shows 1 unread message
Problem: Recently I noticed that the message app I’m using for texting is displaying I have one unread message. So, I browsed through all my messages and I’m sure there’s no unread message. To make sure I’m not missing something, I backed up all my messages and delete them. So, with an empty inbox the notification says I still have 1 unread message. I know this is some kind of an issue. Have you heard or this one before? I have an S3 and I’m with AT&T in the U.S.
Solution: It’s actually just some kind of a glitch. More often, this can be fixed by clearing the Messaging app’s cache and data. If that doesn’t work, however, you need to find something that says BadgeProvider. Here’s how…
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap the More tab.
- Tap the Application Manager, then swipe to display the All section.
- Scroll to and find BadgeProvider.
- Tap Clear Cache, and then Clear Data.
- Reboot the phone.
That should do it.
#7. AT&T Galaxy S3 freezes and very slow
Problem: So, I updated by Galaxy S3 recently but it became really, really slow and keeps on freezing. I rebooted it but it refuses to come back on like it was before. I’m stuck after the Samsung logo. I consulted a friend who is a cellphone technician and he said factory reset can fix the problem. But how can I do that since I can’t even get the phone to boot up normally? Please advice. Thanks. — Miller
Solution: You can still perform factory reset as long as you can boot the phone to Recovery mode. Please follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons.
- When the phone vibrates, release the Power button but continue holding the other two until Android System Recovery screen appears.
- Use the Volume Down button to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset’ and press the Power button to select it.
- Still use the Volume Down button to highlight ‘delete all user data’ and press the Power button to select the option.
- Once the master reset is finished, highlight ‘reboot system now’ and hit the Power button one more time.
#8. AT&T Galaxy S3 corrects typed words
Problem: The irony is that the phone tries to correct the words I type but the words that are entered by the phone are not correct. I’m not technically oriented person and I’m new to smartphones so I’m not really confident to troubleshoot it. My phone is a Galaxy S3 and this problem happened just recently. Last week the phone would not correct what I type. This could not be a problem if the words were right and I can still abbreviate. That’s not possible now, so I need your help. Thank you.
Solution: There is one setting or feature you need to turn off; it’s called the Predictive Text. Please follow the steps below:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll to and tap Language and input.
- Swipe the switch beside Predictive Text option to display Off.
#9. AT&T Galaxy S3 lock screen doesn’t show camera icon
Problem: Hello guys, I have an S3 and prior to the update, there was a camera icon when I lock the phone. It was a handy feature because I can easily unlock the phone and use the Camera. However, it’s gone now and I don’t know how to bring it back. Can you help me, please? — Melody
Solution: To set your phone to access the camera application right from the lock screen, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu button.
- Tap Settings, and then My device.
- Choose Lock screen, and then tap Shortcuts.
- Now touch the slider from Off to On.
- Touch one of the five shortcut locations and select Camera.
#10. Access voicemail in AT&T Galaxy S3
Problem: I just got my new Galaxy S3 and I don’t know how to use it. More often I get voicemails from my daughters but I don’t know how to access or listen to them now. Can you help me please. Thank you.
Solution: You can access your voicemail by touching Phone icon, in the favorites tray by default, or touching and holding the number 1. Your service provider should have already set up your voicemail for you when the phone was first activated. However, if you have problems with your voicemail, please contact your service provider.
#11. How to connect AT&T Galaxy S3 to TV
Problem: My son said I could connect my new phone to our TV set to play some videos or view photos. But how am I going to do that? Can you please walk me through connecting my Galaxy S3? I would surely appreciate it if you helped me play my videos on my new TV. Thanks.
Solution: You will need to buy the Galaxy S3 HDTV Adapter to be able to do so. Once you have that, follow these steps:
- Insert the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your TV and the other to the S3 HDTV Adapter. On your TV, select the correct input channel. For example, if there are two HDMI ports and you used HDMI 1, you should set your TV to HDMI 1 channel.
- Plug the charger to the power source on the wall and insert the other end of the USB cable to the microUSB port on the HDTV Adapter. At this point, the HDTV Adapter already has power and your TV is only waiting for the feed from your phone.
- Plug the short cable from the HDTV Adapter to the microUSB port on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Play videos or view pictures on your phone, they will be mirrored on your TV.
#12. AT&T Galaxy S3 downloading items
Problem: Please help me because my phone keeps downloading some items I don’t know where they come from. Recently, there was an update which I downloaded and installed and I think this is when the problem started. Do you have a solution for this. The phone is an S3, it’s from AT&T. Thanks. — Robin
Solution: It is a minor glitch in one of the core services. Clearing the cache and data often solves this problem. Just follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap Settings, and the More tab.
- Tap on Application Manager.
- Swipe left or right to display contents of All tab.
- Scroll to and tap Download Manager.
- Tap Clear Cache first, and then Clear Data.
- Tap OK.
Engage with us
Feel free to send us your questions, suggestions and problems you’ve encountered while using your Android phone. We support every Android that is available in the market today. And don’t worry, we won’t charge you a single penny for your emails. Email us via [email protected] any time. We read every email but can’t guarantee a response. Lastly, if we were able to help you, please help us spread the word by sharing our posts with your friends or visit our Troubleshooting Page. Thanks.
- #1. AT&T Galaxy S3 WiFi stopped working
- #2. AT&T Galaxy S3 uses almost 90% of RAM
- #3. AT&T Galaxy S3 mobile data problem
- #4. AT&T Galaxy S3 clock doesn’t work
- #5. AT&T Galaxy S3 screen doesn’t stays on
- #6. AT&T Galaxy S3 shows 1 unread message
- #7. AT&T Galaxy S3 freezes and very slow
- #8. AT&T Galaxy S3 corrects typed words
- #9. AT&T Galaxy S3 lock screen doesn’t show camera icon
- #10. Access voicemail in AT&T Galaxy S3
- #11. How to connect AT&T Galaxy S3 to TV
- #12. AT&T Galaxy S3 downloading items