Samsung just launched its new flagship smartphone last Friday in 125 markets globally. This is the largest launch of the company for the new Galaxy S5 compared to the Galaxy S4 which launched last year in only 60 markets. Initial reports coming out of South Korea indicate that the S5 has set a new record for the company as it surpassed the first day sales of the S4 by over 30 percent.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 sold out in most of the markets it was released to last Friday. Hundreds of people lined up outside stores that carried the device and if more stocks were available then the sales would have been higher. In some markets, sales of the S5 even surpassed that of the S4 by more than twice. While no exact figures are released by the company the number of units sold has reportedly reached the millions.
The Galaxy S5 will be launched in 25 additional markets in the next coming days bringing the total to 150 markets.
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; quad-band 3G with HSPA; LTE
- 5.1-inch 16M-color 1080p Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, Adobe RGB mode
- Android 4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset
- Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 16 MP ISOCELL camera with phase-detect autofocus, 1/2.6″ 16:9 sensor and LED flash
- 2160p video recording @ 30fps, 1080p @ 60fps, 720p @ 120fps
- 2 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- 16GB/32GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot
- IP67 certification for dust and water resistance
- Fingerprint scanner with PayPal payments support and private mode access
- microUSB 3.0 port with USB host and MHL 2.0; Backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0
- Bluetooth v4.0
- IR port for remote control functionality
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Barometer, thermometer, hygroscope
- Heart-rate monitor
- IR gesture sensor for Air gestures
- Smart gestures
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- 2,800mAh battery
The Galaxy S5 is simply one of the best Android smartphones out in the market today. The price of a SIM-free unit starts at $699 in the US while it is around $599 in most of Europe and Asia. Various carriers are also offering this device at discounted prices usually starting at $199 with a two year contract included.
via zdnet korea