One of the interesting devices to be released this year is Nokia’s line of Android devices. The Nokia X, X+, and XL were recently unveiled by the company at the MWC 2014 event all running on Android that’s customized to look like the Windows Phone user interface. All three models don’t have Google apps on them, but instead uses the Microsoft counterpart apps.
Before the Nokia X hits the market someone has already rooted it allowing the Google Play store as well as other Google services to run on it. Apps that we normally see on Android devices such as Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, and Google+ just to name a few can now be installed on the Nokia X.
The root is brought to us by XDA developers forum member Kashamalaga who was present at MWC 2014 and was able to bring home a Nokia X. He says that he can’t believe at how easy it is to root the device.
Here’s how to root the Nokia X
- You should need a rooted device. Use Gandalf Exploit included in Framaroot app.
- We need a Root explorer app, use whatever you want.
- Extract and copy all apks from this link to /system/app and change permissions for this files.
- Extract and install as normal user every single needed apk include in “NokiaX_SomeGoogleApps.zip“
By default Nokia X uses Microsoft’s services just like Amazon’s Android devices highlights the company’s own services. Once it gets rooted then it will be able to gain access to the Google Play Store and run Google apps.
The interesting part about this is that Nokia approves of the root hack that was discovered by Kashamalaga. In a Twitter post made by the Nokia Developer Team they said that “This is awesome! Very excited to see progress is being made – we actually really like”.
Nokia X Technical Specifications
- OS: Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Display: 4.0 inches IPS LCD, 480 x 800 pixels 233 ppi
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8225 Snapdragon S4 Play
- CPU: Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A5
- GPU: Adreno 203
- RAM: 512 MB
- ROM: 4GB
- Rear Camera: 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels, 1/5” sensor size, panorama, face detection, video recording at [email protected]
- Battery: Li-Ion 1500 mAh battery (BN-01)