HTC previously announced that the Android 4.4 Kit Kat update to the HTC One was going to be available this January. The latest official tweet made by the company however says that it will be rolling out today. The twitter account of the company @HTCONE just made a post that says “HTC One Unlocked and Developer Edition owners – your Kit Kat roll out starts today! Let us know your favorite new additions. “
Consumers who own an unlocked U.S. unit or the Developer Edition will be able to experience all the new features brought by Kit Kat starting today. One of the most notable features arriving with this update is Sense 5.5, an HTC Skin that is currently being used by the HTC One Max.
Some of the Android 4.4 “Kit Kat” features includes
- Activate Google search by saying “OK Google”
- When listening to music, beautiful art is displayed when the device is on the lockscreen.
- Emoji is embedded in the new google Keyboard
- Hangouts combines all your messages in one place
- Quickoffice is now available in Android
- Optimized memory for faster multitasking
- Phone app prioritizes contacts based on who you talk to the most
- Full-screen mode when reading
- New smart caller ID
- Cloud printing
- Easy home screen switching
- Email app refresh
- Tap-to-pay, built a new way
- Full-screen wallpapers with preview
- HDR+ photography
- Location modes and monitoring
- Low-power audio playback
- Music and movie-seeking from lock screen
- Chromecast support
- Bluetooth MAP support
- Chrome web view
- Close captioning
- Android Device Manager is built-in
- Downloads app redesign
- Secure app sandboxes
- Touchscreen improvements
The update definitely brings in tons of new features that will make you re-explore your HTC One once it has been updated.
To update your device you’ll need to check the update notification. Once you have it all you need to do is follow the prompts to get Kit Kat on your device.