D-Day is here, ladies and gentlemen, and it’s finally time to put our money where our mouths are. We turned dozens of leaked Black Friday 2013 ads and brochures upside down, analyzed them thoroughly and then analyzed them again, but today it’s a totally different ball game.
As expected, most reputable retailers kept at least some cards close and didn’t let everything slip ahead of time. So without further ado, I give you the best Black Friday deals on Android gadgets live at the time of this writing across six major retail chains: Best Buy, Walmart, Target, RadioShack, Newegg and GameStop.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 – free with two-year Verizon, AT&T or Sprint contracts in all color combos, including the exclusive “blue arctic”
- HTC One for Verizon, AT&T or Sprint – $29.99
- No-contract Samsung Galaxy S3 with Boost or Virgin Mobile – $299.99 ($100 off)
- Unlocked 4G Samsung Galaxy S4 – $599.99 ($200 off)
- No-contract LG Optimus F3 for Virgin Mobile – $89.99 (down from $180)
- Prepaid AT&T ZTE Avail 2 – $34.99 ($45 off)
- 16 GB Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 – $99.99
- 8 GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 – $149.99
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 – $399.99 plus $10 gift card
- Insignia Flex 8 tablet – $79.99 ($120 off)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 – $299.99
- Double Power 9-inch tab with Android 4.1 – $89.99
Note that some of the promotions may already be gone online, but visiting a Best Buy physical store could still be worth a shot. Unless, you know, you have a terrible headache following that wild Thanksgiving rave (read quiet, torturing dinner with family), and don’t feel like getting out of bed earlier than 2 pm today. In which case forget about it.
As for early risers, don’t forget to check out Best Buy’s surprise in-store doorbusters, available starting 10 am Black Friday.
- RCA 7-inch tablet with Jelly Bean – $59
- Trio Stealth G2 10-incher – $99
- Prepaid Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S3 – $299
- RCA 9-inch dual-core slate – $99
- HP Mesquite 7-inch tablet with Android 4.1 – $89
- Funtab 7-inch kid-friendly tablet – $69.99
- Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Centura – $29
- Virgin Kyocera Event – $19.99
- Fuhu Nabi 2 kid-friendly slate – $99
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 – $299
- Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizon pacts – $0.97 plus $100 gift card
No judging here and I don’t mean to tell you how to go about your holiday shopping, but please, pretty please, ignore the dirt-cheap no-name tablets. You know, the RCA, Trio Stealth and so on. Instead, that exclusive, limited HP Mesquite thingy looks awesome. And the GS3, the Kyocera Event, Galaxy Centura, etc., etc.
- LeapFrog LeapPad 2 learning tablet – $89.99
- InnoTab 3S learning tablet – $79.99
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 – $249.99
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 – $349.99
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z – $449.99
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z Kitchen Edition – $579.99
- No-contract LG Optimus F3 – $149.99
Nothing to write home about in the smartphone promotions department, but that’s because Cyber Monday is coming and Target would rather play it cool until then. You do get some solid savings on tablets however, plus store coupons for 20% off to be used between December 1 and 7 if you spend at least 75 bucks. Not too shabby, eh?
- Samsung Galaxy S4 mini – $0.99 with Verizon contracts
- Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T, Sprint and Verizon contracts – $49.99 plus $50 online VISA card
- HTC One for Verizon – $19.99 with pacts
- No-contract Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Ring – $49.99 ($100 off)
- No-contract Boost Mobile Kyocera Hydro – $29.99 ($50 off)
- No-contract HTC Desire C – $49.99
- Kyocera Hydro Edge – $69.99 outright (down from $150)
- Verizon LG Optimus Zone – $39.99
- Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy Rush – $79.99
- Virgin Mobile ZTE Reef – $79.99 with prepaid plans
- Trio Stealth Pro 7-inch tablet – $49.99
- Ematic EGS004 7-incher – $59.99
- Ematic FunTab Pro tablet for kids – $99.99
Massive savings on ultra low-end no-contract handhelds, a few dirt-cheap tablets from manufacturers I’ve actually heard about (Ematic) and the GS4 mini for free. You know what to do.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 – $299.99
- Buy 2, get 1 free on any pre-owned electronics, with the selection including $120 Kindle Fire, $230 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T, $220 Kindle Fire HD 8.9, $240 Asus ME301, $250 Acer A200
I know, I know, buying pre-owned, refurb slates is not quite your idea of getting the perfect Black Friday deal. But think about it. You can score a Transformer Pad, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and Asus ME301 for $470 in total. And all three will come to you in mint condition, guaranteed.
- Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 – $559.99 with promo code 1127BF29
- Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note – $269.99 with promo code 1127BF27
- Unlocked Blu Life Play – $204.99 with promo code 1127BF51
- Blu Tank 4.5 phone – $119.99 with promo code 1127BF56
- Ainol Novo 10 Hero 2 tablet – $184.99
- Blu Dash 4.0 – $79.99 with promo code 1127BF48
- Cube U18GT 7-inch quad-core tablet – $94.99
- Cube U25GT 7-incher with Android 4.2 – $79.99
- Dell Venue 8 – $159
- Moto X with Verizon and Sprint contracts – $0.99 plus $50 gift card
- HTC One for Verizon and Sprint – $19.99 plus $50 gift card
- Samsung Galaxy S4 mini – $9.99 on Verizon, $19.99 on Sprint plus $50 gift card
- LG G2 – $49.99 with Verizon and Sprint pacts and $50 gift cards
They warned us theirs is going to be “the only Black Friday sale you’ll need this year” and, while I wouldn’t quite go that far, it’s pretty obvious Newegg is one of the more generous retailers this holiday season. Ready, set, shop!