Google has yet to make an announcement as to the general availability of their Google Glass device but recent developments points that it may come soon. The search giant has announced that existing members of the Explorer program will be able to swap their existing hardware with an updated model in a one-time deal. They will also be able to invite up to three friends to become Explorers and get their own Google Glass.
The one time swap is available to Explorers who bought the device before October 28, 2013. Explorers will be notified this November as to when the swap will start. Once the date has been announced owners will have up to 60 days to register for the exchange. Aside from swapping to an upgraded model Explorers will also be able to choose another color.
The new Google Glass will allow it to “work with future lines of shades and prescription frames.” A mono earbud will also be included in the package.
All current Explorers will also now be able to invite up to three friends to try out Google Glass. This will allow more people to try out the device. Of course, those invited friends will still have to purchase their own Google Glass. There’s still no information as to how much these second-round Explorers are going to spend to get the device but it’s likely to be $1500.
Google will be announcing in the next few weeks when the swap will start and when Explorers can invite their friends.
Google Glass Technical Specifications
- Fit: Adjustable nosepads and durable frame fits any face. Extra nosepads in two sizes.
- Display: High resolution display is the equivalent of a 25 inch high definition screen from eight feet away.
- Camera: Photos-5MP, Video-720p
- Audio: Bone Conduction Transducer
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth
- Storage: 12 GB of usable memory, synced with Google cloud storage. 16 GB Flash total.
- Battery: One day typical use
- Charger: Micro USB
- Compatibility: Any Bluetooth-capable phone