Here’s good news for those looking for a reliable Android smartphone that doesn’t cost much. AT&T has just started taking pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini at only $0.99 or 99 cents with a two year contract. This is already a good deal considering that the device normally costs $284.99. Those who will avail of this offer should expect their orders to ship out by September 24.
AT&T has several plans to choose from which can be used with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. There are basically three plan categories each offering their own distinct advantages.
Nation Plans (voice plans that’s covers the United States)
- $39.99/month, 450 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, $0.45 per additional minute over 450
- $59.99/month, 900 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, $0.40 per additional minute over 900
- $69.99/month, unlimited minutes, , unlimited mobile to mobile minutes
Nation with Canada Plans (no roaming or long distance charges for calls between the U.S. and Canada)
- $59.99/month, 450 minutes
- $79.99/month, 900 minutes
- $99.99/month, 1350 minutes
- $119.99/month, 2000 minutes
- $169.99/month, 4000 minutes
- $219.99/month, 6000 minutes
All options include unlimited mobile to mobile minutes.
Senior Plan (For customers 65 years of age or older)
- $29.99/month, 200 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, $0.45 per additional minute over 200
Once a plan has been chosen additional services can then be added. These services include data, messaging and device protection.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini is designed for people who want a device that performs well yet does not come with a huge display. This model is patterned after its older sibling, which is the former flagship model Galaxy S3.
According to Jeff Bradley, senior vice president of devices for AT&T, “our Galaxy family continues to grow and we’re excited to offer the Galaxy S3 Mini as an option for customers seeking a premium smartphone experience at an outstanding value.”
While it does not have the high-end specifications of its older sibling the Galaxy S3 Mini is still a powerful device despite it being classified as a mid-range smartphone.
- Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G support
- 4G-LTE, 4G HSPA+
- 4.0″ 16M-color Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WVGA (480 x 800 pixel) resolution
- Android OS 4.1 Jelly Bean with Nature UX
- 1 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU, Mali-400 MP GPU, 1GB of RAM
- 5 MP autofocus camera with a powerful LED flash, face and smile detection
- 720p HD video recording at 30fps
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n support; DLNA and Wi-Fi hotspot
- GPS with A-GPS connectivity; digital compass
- 8 GB of inbuilt storage, microSD slot
- Accelerometer, gyroscope and proximity sensor
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- microUSB port
- Stereo Bluetooth v3.0
- FM radio with RDS
- VGA secondary front-facing camera
- 2000mAh Li-Ion (removable) battery
If you are interested in getting this device then head out over to the AT&T website and pre-order it now.
In terms of appearance the S3 Mini and the S3 look very much alike however this is where the similarity ends. The Galaxy S3 Mini sports a smaller 4-inch display and packs in scaled back hardware specifications. Basically it is a smaller version of the S3 with underpowered hardware parts.
The device is relatively easy to handle with one hand owing to its small size. Despite being made of plastic materials it doesn’t feel cheap and there are no noticeable creaks when held tightly. It makes use of a Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels. While this isn’t the best resolution you can get from a smartphone the images displayed are vivid and brilliant.
Powering this model is a 1 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU, Mali-400 MP GPU and 1GB of RAM. This configuration is comparable to most mid-range devices out in the market today.
When Samsung released the S3 Mini last year it came with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) however right now it comes with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean). It also runs the popular TouchWiz interface on top of android which enhances the user experience.
Other important features of this model includes
- Smart User Interface – voice commands and movements makes the device smarter
- Easy Mode & Samsung s Voice – creates a simple user experience
- Samsung S Beam – easy sharing of files, photos, videos with other Galaxy devices
Pricing and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini has been available in the market for almost a year now. You can get the best deal from AT&T which is selling the device for only $0.99 with a standard two year contract.
Not a lot of people know this but the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini can play Flash content unlike the iPhone which cannot officially play Flash content. This can be done by downloading the Android Flash Player and installing it on the device. The player used to be available at Google Play but has already been delisted by Adobe due to security reasons.
The reason why people usually install a Flash Player in their S3 Mini is that there are websites that have not transitioned to HTML 5 and still use Flash.
Here are the easy steps to get the Android Flash Player on the S3 Mini
- Enable “Unknown Sources” Installation
- Download Flash Player for Android from Adobe
- Install Adobe Flash
- Use Flash!