There’s a trend going on right now among Android device manufacturers of releasing mobile devices that’s tougher than ordinary devices. You will now see smartphones that can survive being submerged underwater or being immune to dust. On the tablet front, Xplore Technologies has just released the RangerX which is a lightweight yet rugged Android tablet.
The RangerX is designed for the mobile worker in mind instead of the adventurous consumer. While it is indeed slim it still has a high level of protection that makes it very rugged. It is uses a Magnesium alloy midframe that’s enclosed in elastomer bumpers to protect it against shocks.
This device boasts of an IP65 that makes it withstand dust and water easily. It also has been MIL-STD-810G certified which means it can withstand vehicle vibrations, blowing rain, dust and sand, salty fog, contamination by fluids, and solar radiation.
RangerX Technical Specifications
- Operating System: Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Processor: Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 Processor 1.5GHz
- Chipset: Intel QM57 Express
- Graphics: Integrated POWERVR SGX544 graphics accelerator, Integrated Image Signal Processor
- Display: 10.1″ XGA (1366 x 768) rugged In-Plane Switching, 500 NIT Display, 178° Viewing cone, Multi-Touch, Anti-Reflective Glass
- Memory: Dual-channel LPDDR2 memory 1GB
- Storage: 2G eMMC NAND Flash Memory, Additional Secured Internal Micro SD up to 128GB, User Accessible 32G micro SD
- Camera: 5 MP rear, 1.2 MP HD front webcam
- Battery: User Replaceable 10,000 mAh, Up to 10hr battery life
The specs are comparable to a mid-range tablet today. Its use of Ice Cream Sandwich may make it outdated however it is still a pretty solid OS. One impressive feature is its use of a 10,000 mAh battery that will definitely last for a full day. Pricing starts at US$1,349.
Here’s a list of its rugged features
MIL STD 810G Specifications
- Transit Drop Operating: 4′ (1.22 m) Drop direct to plywood over concrete, 26 total drops: one drop to each face, edge and corner
- Vehicle Vibration: US Highway Truck
- Temperature Extremes (Operating/Non-Operating): Operating: -4° F to 140° F (-20° C to 60° C), Non-Operating/Storage: -8° F to 158 °F (-22°C to 70°C)
- Drip: 7 gal/hr over 2 feet
- Blowing Rain: 4.0″/hr (101.6 mm/hr) of blowing rain, 40-mph wind source for 30 minutes on each surface
- Blowing Sand & Dust: article size < 149 µm, 10 + 7 g/m3 particle density, 1.5 m/s to 8.9 m/s wind speeds
- Humidity: 95% – Non-condensing humidity, Five 48-hour cycles
- Salt Fog Spray: 5% Saline exposure for 2 Cycles x 48 hours
- Functional Shock: Operating: 20G,Non-Operating: 40G
- Contamination by Fluids: Detergents, brake fluid, aromatic hydrocarbons
If you are looking for a rugged tablet then this is one of the best choices available in the market today.