In the early part of June Acer announced that it will be releasing its first phablet device called the Acer Liquid S1. While the device isn’t available in the market yet it will be available in the UK soon. Expansys has listed the device on their site which is now ready for pre-orders with shipping expected to start this coming August 5.
The phablet is listed as the Acer Liquid S1 Duo and comes in black with a white back cover. Its price is listed at £299.99 or $460.
The device will also be launched in its home country Taiwan this August with a price of 12,900 TWD or roughly $430.
Acer Liquid S1 Technical Specifications
- System: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- Processor: 1.5 GHz / Quad Core / Media Tek MTK 6589
- Memory: Internal: 8 GB / RAM: 1 GB / Slot type: microSD / Max. slot capacity: 32 GB
- Display: 5.7″ / TFT / Resolution: 1280 x 720 pixels / 256 ppi
- Camera: 8 MP/ Flash: LED / Video: 1080p HD / Front: 2 MP
- Network: 3G: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz / GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Dual SIM
- Wireless: Bluetooth: 3.0 / Wifi: IEEE 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n
- Connection: Jack 3.5 mm / micro USB
- GPS: aGPS
- Sensors: Accelerometer, E-compass, Gyro sensor, Proximity sensor
- Battery: 2400 mAh
The Acer Liquid S1 was announced by the company at this year’s Computex event and is their first foray in the phablet market. While the specs look good, it’s really nothing to be excited about.
You will notice that it comes with a large display; the screen is in fact 0.2 inches larger than the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. There’s even a stylus pen included making it competitor to the Note. The display isn’t full HD though as it only has a resolution of 1,280 x 720 which is the same as the Note 2.
There’s only 8 GB of internal storage available however you can increase this with the use of a microSD.
The use of a 1.5 GHz quad core processor with 1 GB of RAM is a plus since it makes running Android 4.2.2 run smoothly.
While the device runs mostly on stock Android Acer has added their Float UI in the mix. This makes apps appear floating on the screen making multi-tasking easier.