Microsoft is pushing for its Surface RT tablet to be used by more students in classrooms. The company’s Windows in the Classroom Surface Experience Project is making sure of this by providing individuals linked to educational institutions an easier and affordable way to get the tablet. Just last week the company announced that they will be giving away the device to the first 10,000 people who registers at the International Society for Technology in Education which will be held this month in San Antonio. The latest announcement of the company is that it is offering the tablet to educational institutions at a discounted price for a limited time only.
Microsoft is now offering the Surface RT (32 GB) for only $ 199 down from its original price of $499. This offer is valid for K-12 and higher educational institutions in 25 countries around the world. The Surface RT (32GB) with Touch Keyboard Cover which regularly costs $599 is also now sold at a discounted price of $249 while the Surface RT (32GB) with Type Keyboard Cover now costs $289 down from $629. This is a limited time offer which is valid from June 17, 2013 up to August 31, 2013. Individual students won’t be able to order this tablet since it will be sold directly to schools and universities.
In a post by Microsoft the company announced that “Our mission in education is to help schools and universities, students and educators realize their full potential. One way we do this is by offering software, hardware and services at affordable prices to education institutions. Surface RT is a terrific tool for teaching and learning and we want students and educators to have the best technology on the market today.”
Surface RT Technical Specifications
- OS: Windows RT
- Storage: 32 GB
- Display: Display 10.6” ClearType HD Display, 1366 x 768 pixels, 16:9 (widescreen), 5-point multi-touch
- CPU: CPU Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3
- RAM: 2GB
- Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 technology
- Camera: Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing
- Ports: Full-size USB 2.0, microSDXC card slot, Headset jack, HD video out port, Cover port
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass
- Included apps: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT1 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote), Windows Mail and Messaging; SkyDrive, Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Xbox Music, Video, and Games
The Microsoft Surface RT is a great tool for students looking for a device that they can use in school for research, communications and general productivity tasks. It’s got a great battery life and has a solid construction that won’t get damaged easily.