We have reported previously that Facebook might be releasing their personalized version of Android which will be used in an upcoming HTC device. Today, a system dump of the Facebook phone has just been leaked which shows that it’s not a fork of the Android OS but instead acts more like a launcher. The leak is brought to us by the guys over at Android Police who were able to get a pre-release version.
The build property is as follows
- Manufacturer: HTC
- Model: MYSTUL (Myst_UL)
- Carrier: AT&T
- Platform: MSM8960 (Dual Core)
- Ram: 1GB
- Display: 4.3 inch @ 720p resolution
- Android Version: 4.1.2
- Sense Version: 4.5
- Rear Camera = 5M
- Front Camera = 1.6M
- No SD Card
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
From here it shows that it’s going to be the HTC Myst that will become the upcoming Facebook phone. According to the leak Facebook Home is going to be a special app that is different from the regular Facebook app that we have. The app has a package name of “com.facebook.wakizashi” which is different from the regular Facebook app which is named “com.facebook.katana.”
It also appears that the upcoming app won’t be an HTC exclusive as a close examination of the code reveals references to the Samsung’s TouchWiz UI which runs on the S4 and Note II.
The extra permissions of this new app are as follows
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW – The Facebook app can spawn windows that stay on top of all other windows. According to the Android docs, “these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.”
- DISABLE_KEYGUARD – It can turn off your lock screen.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED – Facebook starts as soon as your phone starts.
- GET_TASKS – The Facebook app can see what apps you have currently running.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE – It can control your WiFi connection
As far as for the device itself, it looks like it’s going to be a mid-range smartphone. What we know so far is that it’s going to use a dual-core Qualcomm processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 720p 4.3-inch display.