If the rumors about the new Android operating system are to be believed, the Android 5.0 release is set on May 15 to 17, 2013 at the Google I/O event which will be held in Moscone Center, San Francisco, California.
Update: speculations are now the OS will be released a few months after Google I/O.
Although there’s no word yet from Google about the code name of the new version of its OS, Key Lime Pie is likely the name of the new OS for Android. That is basing again from speculations rounding up the Internet from various tech news sources and my personal view.
Why do I strongly believe that it is? Well, for the people who haven’t noticed it yet, just look at the pattern of codenames for the OS in the past up to the present.
It all started with the 1.5 version called Cupcake. Then, Donut, Éclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich followed. The latest OS of Android that was released was the Jelly Bean, which is currently running the Android 4.1 and 4.2 versions.
Basically, the list went from the dessert that started with the letter C up to the letter J, in alphabetical order. Thus, the Key Lime Pie, which starts with letter K is obviously the next. Well, that’s if Google is not planning to break the chain soon.
What’s cooking in the Android pot? Here are the rumored features of the new Android OS that will surely benefit hungry customers:
- Night Mode for power saving purposes.
- Game Mode enhances gaming experience by allocating enough power to boost the system’s performance. This could prevent lagging while you are playing a high-definition game.
- The devices equipped with the OS will be offering support for more gadgets and accessories.
- The touch keyboard will be more advanced and easier to use.
- A voice assistant will have some upgrades to compete with Siri.
- There will be apps that will augment video chatting capability.
- A multi-select option will be offered in the Contacts menu.
- More storage will be given to the devices carrying it, which is probably true since the features of the new OS could eat up a significant amount of memory.
- Android Police claimed to have discovered new game codes after the Google Glass companion app was removed. Most of the games were said to feature multiplayer functions. According to their report, the codes do not appear to be related to Google Glass in any way due to their lack of hands-free features. So, this could be an indication that the new OS will come with a service similar to iOS Games Center.
According to gossips from numerous sources, the new Google Nexus 5 and Motorola X are the devices that will carry the Android 5.0 OS. But it is not clear yet if these two will really debut at the Google I/O event based on our recent findings.
On the other hand, a Samsung insider revealed to Techradar that the current Samsung Smartphones and tablets which will be getting an upgrade in OS are the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0 and Galaxy Note 2.