While Samsung hasn’t officially announced their eye-tracking feature which will be available on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S4 and soon on the S3 LG has beaten them to the punch. In a press release made by LG the company announced a new feature called LG Smart Video which is found in the Optimus G Pro.
LG Smart Video allows the front facing camera to track your eyes when you are watching a video (still not known if it supports third-party media players). When your eye strays away from the screen the video is automatically paused. Samsung’s technology which is called Smart Pause pauses the video with the movement of your head as the reference.
According to Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company, “LG is continuously innovating to offer creative ways to offer a user experience that adds value to our customers. It’s the positive UX that will differentiate smartphones in 2013 and beyond, not only cutting-edge hardware specs.”
The Smart Video will be included in the Value Pack upgrade which the company also announced. It’s going to become available in the Korean market next month.
The Value Pack upgrade is a premium suite aimed at the Optimus G Pro that enhances the device with several new features.
Some of the features included are
- Magic Remote Pad and Text Keypad via the QRemote function. These new options for QRemote work specifically with LG
- Smart TVs to enhance convenience when using Optimus G Pro as a remote control for LG Smart TVs.
- The Smart LED Lighting outlining the home button of the Optimus G Pro will be upgraded so users can customize the colors
- to correspond to their favorite contacts. The flashing of the LED in different colors will allow users to identify the source of
- incoming calls, missed calls, unread messages and emails.
- Video Pause/Resume allows the user to stop and start in record mode for one continuous video file.
- The first Color Emoticons in an Android smartphone for more personalized text messages.