The Android Open Kang Project custom ROM for Galaxy S3 under Verizon network is one way a user can experience the real power of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Today, the ROM has been made available for download for people who are willing to take the risks of flashing third-party firmware to make their device better and faster. We have prepared a guide to walk you through successful installation of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean AOKP ROM (Build 3) into your Verizon Galaxy S3 with model number SCH-I535.
- Backup everything in your device as there is a chance data will be corrupted during the process.
- Fully-charge your phone or make it has, at least, 80 percent battery left.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Install necessary drivers so your phone can easily be detected by your computer.
- Your phone should be rooted.
- You must install ClockworkMod Recovery as you will be using it the entire procedure.
- Flash at your own risk. You cannot hold us liable for any damages this process might cause.
- Download the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean AOKP custom ROM. Save it into your computer without extracting. [Link]
- Download Google Apps for your device, save in your computer. [Link]
- While your phone is still on, connect it to your computer using the original USB cable that came with it. Let your computer detect the device, then copy the files you just downloaded. Make sure you put them into the root directory of your phone’s internal memory.
- Disconnect your device from your computer and turn it off.
- Boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding VOLUME UP, POWER and HOME buttons until Samsung’s logo appears on the screen.
- First off, perform a Nandroid backup so you can just revert later if you don’t like the ROM.
- You can now perform a full data wipe or factory reset. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset => Yes.
- Next, you are now ready to install the packages. Select Flash zip from SD Card => Choose zip from SD Card and browse through your device’s internal memory to find the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. Once found, load it and wait for the device to finish flashing.
- Repeat step 8 but this time choose Google Apps package instead of the custom ROM. It may still take a few moments before the flashing is completed, so you’ll have to wait and not interrupt the process.
10. Go back to main menu and choose Reboot System Now. Remember, for this reboot it will take two minutes (or even more) before the devices becomes active again. Wait until your phone is fully rebooted before you use it.
Just in case your phone enters a bootloop, just turn it off, take the battery out and wait for a minute. Then put the battery back and turn your device on. That should do it.