Just like LG, Samsung couldn’t wait till the MWC to be held next week to announce a new product as they have officially launched their TV discovery service for their smart TVs and smart phones.
TV Discovery allows users to search and view live TV, on demand content and even stream content from websites like Youtube. The service relays real time program information from a number of services like TV, video streaming websites etc. And over the course of time, the service learns about your viewing habits and the channels you like and then based on this information, it provides recommendations. So, the more you use this service, the more are the chances of these recommendations being relevant.
“TV Discovery lets you search and watch content from across our provider partners, whether within your preferred subscriptions or on-demand” said Dr. Won-Pyo Hong, President and Head of Media Solution Center. The service will be available on your Smart TV as well as compatible devices and you can even use your smart phone or tablet as a universal remote. The service will enable users to search and find relevant content using their smart phones and one can transfer these content to the Smart TV for easy viewing.
The service will initially use NETFLIX and Blockbuster to stream content in US and will use Acetrax, Wuaki, MovieMax, FilmIn, Chili, Pathé and SF Anytime in the European Countries.
Some of the features of TV discovery as seen in Samsung’s news release are as follows:
- Universal Remote Control: Connects to all major media devices including cable, satellite, home stereos, DVD and Blu-Ray players : – So users no longer need multiple remote controls to manage their content choices
- Personalized Recommendations : – Enables discovery of the most relevant content through personal recommendations
- One stop Search :- Enables users to find films, TV shows and on-demand video from popular sources in a single search
- Cross-Device Experience :- Allows users to project content from a smart phone, tablet to a TV, or vice-versa
- Social Sharing :- Users can share what they’re watching with friends and see what they have watched through Samsung TV Discovery.
The service will initially roll out on Samsung Smart TVs in Korea, US and 14 European countries in the first quarter of 2013. By the end of the second quarter of 2013, Samsung smart phones and tablets like Galaxy S3, galaxy tab 10.1 will get this service.
via Engadget News