Qualcomm may have gained the upper hand in the battle of the next generation mobile processors as their upcoming Snapdragon 600 and 800 chips received an OpenGL ES 3 certification. This is the first certification given to a mobile processor. What benefit does this give to consumers? Well, for starters we are going to see a new batch of devices that’s going to have improved gaming and graphics performance.
OpenGL ES (OpenGL for Embedded Systems) is a royalty free API (Application Programming Interface) that is based on OpenGL. This is used by programmers to design 2D or 3D applications. When a lot of people are more interested in processor speed one thing overlooked by many is the API. An API such as Microsoft’s DirectX or even the OpenGL allows program developers to finish their applications quickly since they won’t have to write the code from scratch. The codes are all pre-made which they just need to grab. The certification of the new Snapdragon processors means that they will be completely compatible with the OpenGL ES standard.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Features
- Quad Core Krait 300 CPU running at up to 1.9 GHz
- Adreno 320 GPU –offering over 3x the performance of Adreno
- LPDDR3 RAM— (Low Power Double Data Rate 3)
- Overall Performance Boost—up to 40% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor
Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Features
- Quad Core Krait 400 CPU running at up to 2.3 GHz per core
- Adreno 330 GPU offers a 2 times better compute performance than Adreno 320
- 2x32bit LPDDR3 RAM at 800MHz with a memory bandwidth of 12.8GBps.
- 4G LTE Cat 4 and 802.
- UltraHD—video can be captured, played back and displayed in UltraHD . This has four times as many pixels as 1080p. (1920x 1080 versus 4096 × 2304)
- HD Audio—support for DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus and 7.1 surround sound.
- Dual Image Signal Processors (ISPs) up to 55MP – with support for up to four cameras and allows for 3D captures, photo merging into a master 55MPixel image, separate autofocus and captures, 1080p30 video captures.
- Overall Performance Boost of up to 75% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro.