Philips announced that they will soon be releasing a new smartphone model called the W8355. This device comes with dual sim capability and has a display size of 5.3 inches and is said to compete with the Samsung’s Galaxy Grand i9082. Although the company is a known for its premium consumer electronic products they‘ve never really made it big in the Android scene. This upcoming model which has decent specifications might change all this.
Philips W8355 Technical Specifications
- Operating System: Android OS, v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Display: 5.3 inches, TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 540 x 960 pixels,208 ppi
- Networks: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2, HSDPA 850 / 2100
- Processor: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A5
- GPU: Adreno 203
- RAM: 512 MB RAM
- Camera: 5 MP, 2592×1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash rear, no front camera
- Dimensions: 147.6 x 79 x 10.9 mm
Based on the specifications we could see that the Samsung Galaxy Grand has several advantages which are
- Use of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
- 1.2GHz dual-core processor
- 8MP rear camera
But then again the display of the Grand isn’t that grand at all compared to the W8355 since it only uses a 5 inch screen with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.
The Philips W8355 has been spotted in several online sites which make us believe that it will be released soon. As far as pricing goes it shouldn’t cost a lot judging from its spec sheet.
The use of a dual core processor and a large display with a resolution of 540 x 960 pixels makes this device attractive. Add its dual sim capability and you can have access to two mobile networks with just a single device. What we didn’t like though is the measly 512 MB of RAM, the use of Ice Cream Sandwich instead of Jelly Bean and the lack of a front facing camera.
Stay tuned as we bring you more updates on the release date and pricing of this device.