With all the tornadic activity we’ve had in the U.S. over the past couple of weeks, the latest update to the Accuweather Android app may come in handy. Accuweather has announced that they’ve added push notifications for severe weather to the latest version of the app.
With severe weather push notifications, based on your location based settings, you’ll now be notified when accuweather receives a weather alert. You’ll see a notification in your notifications bar and also be notified by vibration.
More after the break
“Proactively alerting our users that severe weather is in their forecast is very important to us,” Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media, said in a press release. “Pushed severe weather alerts are another way that we can give you immediate access to your local and up-to-date weather conditions. In addition to pushed severe weather alerts, we added lifestyle forecasts – special weather forecasts for specific hobbies or activities such as, travel and sports, and forecasts that impact specific health conditions, such as asthma and migraines.”
Here are accuweather’s notes from this release:
- This is a major release, so make sure you update your app !
- Severe weather alerts are now sent to your device. You can opt-in during the first launch or in settings.
- New lifestyle section to help you make better decisions.
- Availability of in-app purchase to upgrade to AccuWeather Platinum
- User navigation changes to be more aligned with other Android applications
- Option to “Exit” the application (found in device menu button). Note that this does not turn off notifications.
If you have the Accuweather Android app check your myapps for an update, if not head over to the Android Market and get the latest version.
Source: Android Central