AT&T isn’t wasting any time at CTIA. Monday night while attending a party hosted by rival Verizon Wireless everyone’s cell phones started going off like there was some gigantic fire or something. Well what was on fire was AT&T, adding five new devices to their growing list of Android devices.
Earlier in the year AT&T announced an aggressive Android strategy which included 12 Android powered handsets. They’ve now exceeded that with 19. Among the five new devices are the Samsung Captivate Glide and the Samsung Double Time.
The Samsung Captivate Glide is very similar to the newly announced Samsung Stratosphere on Verizon Wireless. It has a dual core Tegra 2 processor on board, clocked at 1ghz and a slide out qwerty keyboard, because ya know, some people just need a keyboard. Android Central ran a rumor over the summer that this device with the qwerty may be a Galaxy S II variant, but we know now that’s not the case.
The specs put this in the top of the mid-range Android devices or the lower end of the superphone spectrum
- UMTS 850/1900/2100
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900
- 4G HSPA+ 21 Mbps (Category 14)
- 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H dual core processor
- 1GB RAM/1GB ROM/8GB Internal microSD to 32GB (not included)
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- 4-inch 480×800 WVGA Super AMOLED
- Dual camera – 8MP Autofocus w/LED + 1.3MP front
- Full HD 1080p video camera + HDMI playback
- Enhanced Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) to sync email, contacts, calendar and tasks
- Device and SD card encryption
- Virtual private network support
- Mobile Device Management (MDM)
The other Samsung powered Android device announced by AT&T is the Samsung Double Time. According to AT&T it features a flip top keyboard (think messaging phone style). It’s going to be a mid-range budget conscious Android with style. Unfortunately it’s only coming to the party with Froyo (Android 2.2) and a 3.2 megapixel camera, but on the bright side it has a bright and pretty pink and white color scheme.
Here is the full set of specs:
· UMTS 850/1900/2100
· GSM 850/900/1800/1900
· Processor Qualcomm 600 MHz
· Onboard Memory Supports 260MB
· Android 2.2 (Froyo)
· microSD™ memory card supports up to 32GB (2GB microSD card included)
· 3.2” full touch screen display with 320 x 480 and 480 x 320 (HVGA) resolution
This device may be perfect for a new Android user.