You may not have heard of Ambarella in the past, but chances are you’ve seen the final results of their HD processing chips on TV in the past. Founded in 2004, Ambarella specializes in HD broadcast video and photo applications. They pride themselves on offering extremely great quality video at a low bit rate with low power consumption.
Ambarella has announced this week that they are working on a new class of connected camera. Their camera, the iOne, will be a fully functional high resolution digital camera with the ability to take and share HD video via wifi. The unique thing, this camera will be based on the Android operating system and move-over Nvidia, the Ambarella iOne chip features a triple core processor.
The triple core processor in the iOne camera features a dual core 1ghz ARM cortex processor A9 CPUs providing the horse power to run Android and other processing with a 533mhz ARM-11 processor handles real time camera functions and makes boot time less than one second.
- Simultaneous still photography and HD video recording. Up to 32Mpixel still image processing with high speed capture of 5Mpixel images at 30 frames per second.
- High ISO capability with excellent low-light performance. Advanced noise reduction including MCTF (Motion-Compensated Temporal Filtering) for minimal motion blur.
- Dual stream encoding. Simultaneous encoding of a full HD 1080p30 stream and a second stream for uploading to the Internet or streaming over WiFi.
- Industry’s first low power 1080p60 decoder capable of full 3D HD decoding on a mobile platform. Support for all leading video formats including H.264, MPEG-2, DivXTM and VC-1. Integrated HDMI 1.4 transmitter for 3D HDTV output and display.
- Full-duplex encode and decode of HD 1080p30 H.264 video for mobile HD telepresence applications.
- On-device HD video editing with hardware acceleration.
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with CMOS sensor rolling shutter correction for capturing stable images even during motion.
- 3D photo and video capture. Combining the iOne with the Ambarella S3D pre-processor enables stereoscopic HD video and still image capture.
- Seamless connectivity support for WiFi (802.11n), GPS, Bluetooth, FM and Mobile TV.
- Extensive interfaces including dual CMOS sensor inputs (SLVDS/MIPI/HiSPiTM/parallel), Gigabit Ethernet, SATA, dual USB2.0, S/PDIF, transport stream and analog video out.
The iOnes Android operating system will allow for the natural seemless sharing of videos and photos to social media, email, other devices and more utilizing wifi connectivity.
The Ambarella iOne is beta testing now and should be on the market soon. We’ve seen nearly 100 phone, MID and tablet form factored Android devices but have yet to see a camera feature Android.