Only a few smartphone models are being widely used two years after being released in the market. The #Samsung #Galaxy #S5 is one such model. Released in April 2014, this phone is known to be a very solid model and is the last flagship device of the South Korean giant that sports a removable battery. Although this has been used as a reliable daily driver by a lot of people there are instances when issues can occur which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the Galaxy S5 charging keeps going on and off issue & other related problems.
If you own a Samsung Galaxy S5 or any other Android device for that matter then feel free to contact us using this form. We will be more than happy to assist you with any concern that you may have with your device. This is a free service we are offering with no strings attached. We however ask that when you do contact us try to be as detailed as possible so that an accurate assessment can be made and the correct solution can be given.
If you would like to browse the previous parts in this series then check out this link.
S5 Charging Keeps Going On And Off
Problem: The charging power keeps going off and on , or sometimes it takes a long time before the charging power comes on even when its been plugged for a while. I usually have to keep moving the phone before it starts charging
Solution: There appears to be a loose connection between the charging cord and the charging port which is causing this problem. Listed below are the troubleshooting steps that you need to do for this type of issue. After performing a step immediately check if the issue still occurs. If it does then proceed to the next step.
- Clean the charging port of your phone using a can of compressed air. Make sure that any dirt or debris stuck in this port is removed.
- Since the charging cord is easily damaged you should try replacing this cord with a new one.
- Try using a different wall charger.
- To check if the problem is caused by a faulty battery then try replacing the battery with a new one.
If the issue still occurs even after performing the steps listed above then this could already be caused by a faulty charging port. I recommend that you have this checked at a service center.
S5 Screen Not Turning On
Problem: Hi, I have a Galaxy s5. recently, after a fall, the screen will not turn on but i can feel texts coming and the quick vibrate one would feel when normally turning off the phone. I was also able to hear the ringtone when receiving a call. while i may have gotten a new phone, a lot of information and media is still on the 5 that i would like to regain. what is the best solution and can i do it myself with the right parts?
Solution: It looks like the screen of your phone has been damaged by the drop. Before replacing the display you should first check if a glitch in the phone software is causing this by starting the phone in recovery mode. The phone is not relying on the main operating system when it is startec in this mode making it easy to check for software problems. If the screen works does not work in this mode then you will have to try to replace the display assembly of your device. I recommend that you bring the phone to a service center and have this done. If however you would like to do this procedure yourself then I suggest you check out the procedure in this link https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S5+Display+Assembly+Replacement/26914
S5 Gets Stuck In Verizon Logo Then Shuts Off
Problem: My daughter’s phone will not turn on. It starts to start on, goes to Verizon page in red and shuts off. There is a blue light in the upper left corner. We have taken the battery out and replaced it with another which does not help. We pushed the power button while the battery was out and then the down volume button We then tried pushing the home, power and up column button until the screen showed the options to reboot system now. We did that and it said it was downloading and an hour later the screen remain the same. Not sure what to do now. Thanks
Solution: It looks like your phone is stuck in download mode. Take out the battery and microSD card ( if your phone has one installed) then press and hold the power button for at least a minute. After this is done reinsert just the battery then try turning on your phone. If it still gets stuck in the Verizon logo then try connecting your phone to its charger first and let it charge for at least 20 minutes. Restart your phone while it is still connected to its charger. If this doesn’t fix the problem then follow the troubleshooting steps listed below.
- Check if the phone is able to start in recovery mode. If you are able to access this mode then perform a wipe cache partition. If this still fails then do a factory reset from here. Take note that this will delete your phone data.
- Try using a new battery.
- Consider flashing your phone with its updated firmware file. Instructions on how to flash your phone as well as its firmware file can be found at the Sammobile website.
If the issue still persists after following the steps listed above then you should bring your phone to a service center and have it checked.
S5 Will Not Turn On After Getting Latest Software Update
Problem: After doing the latest update my Samsung Galaxy S5 shut down and now will no longer turn on. Even with a battery change there is no response from the phone. I did notice while switching the battery with my wife’s phone that it drained the battery immediately. I’ve tried numerous suggestions to get it working but nothing works. It’s basically an expensive paperweight.
Solution: If your phone does not start after getting a software update then you should follow the troubleshooting steps listed below to fix the issue. After performing each step immediately check if the issue still occurs and if it does you should move on to the next step.
- Remove the battery and microSD card (if you have one installed) then press and hold the power button for at least a minute. This will discharge the phone circuit and clear out its RAM. Once this is done reinsert just the battery then check if it turns on.
- Clean the charging port of the phone using a can of compressed air. Remove any dirt or debris that’s stuck in this port.
- Charge your phone for at least 20 minutes using a different charging cord and wall charger that is known to work.
- Try using a new battery on your phone.
- Try to start you phone in recovery mode. If the phone starts in this mode then try wiping its cache partition. If this doesn’t fix the problem then do a factory reset in this mode. Take note that this erases your phone data.
If the above steps don’t fix the problem then you should bring your phone to a service center and have it checked.
S5 Will Not Turn On
Problem: Just picked up a Samsung S5 new .. Brought it plug the power cord in ,hour later no light ,no power ,screen is black. tried a soft start , (battery out for one minute) ,nothing . Tried a hard restart the three button start ,no vibration, no light ,nothing ,was working at store ,,phone has been on a charger about hour and 1/2 ,when writing this ,rechecked and still nothing ,,also tried a known working charger Not sure of android version , will not turn on to check
Solution: The battery of the phone might be defective. Try replacing this with a new one. If the issue persists then you should bring this back to the store where you bought it from and have it replaced.
S5 Restarts On Its Own
Problem: I had a extra battery pack in my phone and when I finally went back to just my normal battery I would set my phone down and it’ll restart and my battery doesn’t last long anymore I charge it at least 3 times a day thought it was just the battery but switched out battery’s and it still restarts everytime I set it down or if it’s in my pocket and It hits something …I have to set it down gently for it not to restart
Solution: This particular issue is usually caused by a glitch in the phone software which is why you should do the following troubleshooting steps below first.
- Start the phone in Safe Mode. When your phone works in this mode only the pre-installed apps are allowed to run. If the issue doesn’t occur in this mode then it is most likely caused by an app you downloaded. Find out what app this is and uninstall it.
- Wipe the cache partition of your phone from the recovery mode.
- If you have a microSD card installed in your phone then try removing it.
- Backup your phone data then do a factory reset.
If the issue persists then try getting a new battery. If this fails to fix the problem then you need to bring your phone to a service center and have it checked.
S5 Boot Loop When Using New Battery
Problem: I just bought another battery for my galaxy s5. Its a samsung battery. But when i put it in the phone, the phone loops thru a reboot. Doesn’t even get to the color samsung screen. I put the old battery in and no problems.
Solution: It’s possible that the new battery you got is faulty. I recommend that you have this replaced.
Engage with us
Feel free to send us your questions, suggestions and problems you’ve encountered while using your Android phone. We support every Android device that is available in the market today. And don’t worry, we won’t charge you a single penny for your questions. Contact us using this form. We read every message we receive can’t guarantee a quick response. If we were able to help you, please help us spread the word by sharing our posts with your friends.