- Learn how to troubleshoot your #Samsung Galaxy S6 (#GalaxyS6) whose Google Voice command feature stopped working after the #Marshmallow update.
- What to do about your phone that doesn’t recognize the charger when plugged in as well as the white cross other charging issue.
- Know more about an issue involving the S6 that got soft-bricked after the user flashed a custom ROM and can’t re-flash the stock firmware back.
- What you need to do if your phone takes forever to load webpages and Google to search.
- Troubleshoot a slow charging issue with the Galaxy S6.
- Learn what to do if your phone plays the notification sound even if there are no new notifications. Owner it’s not the Notification reminder and it occurred after an update.
Apart from the power-related issues we received from Samsung Galaxy S6 owners, there are other issues that may also seem very common especially after the Marshmallow update like some features don’t work anymore, the phone can’t recognize being plugged in, soft-bricking problems after flashing ROMs, slow charging and browsing issues.
Continue reading to learn more about these problems as I have tackled them below. I also provided some things you could do to troubleshoot it on your own. Just don’t go overboard by messing the firmware or the hardware of your device because if you do that, the warranty might be voided and you may end up buying a new unit if the problems go beyond the capabilities of the technician.
If you have other concerns, though, visit our S6 troubleshooting page and browse through the problems listed there. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use the solutions and troubleshooting procedures we recommended. You may also contact us by completing our Android problems questionnaire.
Q: “Updated to Marshmallow yesterday: DISASTER. My voice commands using google no longer work. I drive all day and I could always say “navigate to 123 Main St” and google would get it 80% of the time, and start giving me driving directions. Now I just see a screen with the google dots waving, and a “listening” message. My new contacts entered on my desktop are not transferring to my phone. My speed dial app (3rd party) has quit working…and I have an entire page of one-touch speed dial icons that are essential to me….all dead now. (There was a perfect widget for this with the S5….why doesn’t Samsung bring that back….would be a useful update!) Thanks for any help.”
A: Firmware updates don’t always work like a charm and yours are just some issues any Galaxy S6 owners may also encounter. It appears like the firmware update messed up your phone big time and there’s no other option for you to do than the master reset. Try backing up your data and files and follow these steps:
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S6.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys together.
- When the device powers on and displays ‘Power on logo’, release all keys and the Android icon will appear on the screen.
- Wait until the Android Recovery Screen appears after about 30 seconds.
- Using the Volume Down key, highlight the option, ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and press the Power key to select it.
- Press the Vol Down button again until the option ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted and then press the Power key to select it.
- After the reset is complete, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and hit the Power key to restart the phone.
Q: “My screen turned black with a small white cross in the corner. I had to restart the phone. I did this two or 3 times and it would work but then turn black again. Then it said something about charging sharing but was not plugged in. When I tried to charge later it would not recognise the charger. Or any other chargers I have. The battery eventually died and I can’t turn the phone back on.”
A: The temporary fix to the not charging issue is to use a wireless charger just so your phone will have enough power for troubleshooting. Then try booting it up in safe mode first after you charge it.
- Turn off your Galaxy S6.
- Press and hold the Power key.
- When ‘Samsung Galaxy S6’ appears, immediately release the Power key and then press and hold the Volume Down button.
- Continue holding the Volume Down button until the phone finishes the restart.
- When you see Safe Mode on the lower left corner of the screen, release the button.
While in safe mode, try to see if the device charges fine. If it doesn’t, then you have no other option but to do the reset as above. After the reset and the problem remained, you need to see a technician about it.
Q: “I will greatly appreciate the help and i will do more than a simple thanks if you help me fix this. I woke up yesterday and decided to flash a custom rom called looper 2.0. I think the android version i downloaded was older the the one i was supposed to but still was lollipop… So then my phone got soft bricked since this day and time. Its the worst feeling when you blame yourself for f**ing up your phone:(I had access to twrp but now that’s gone idk why but i still have access to download mode… I tried flashing stock firmware (like 15 different ones) and odin kept saying failed failed… but when I did the custom firmware i originally flashed before that works and passes and almost anything else passes besides stock firmwares, thank you ahead of time.”
A: Please make sure you download the correct firmware based on the model of your phone. Flashing back to the original or stock firmware has always been the failsafe for us modders should things don’t go as planned.
Q: “The Internet pages load very slow, Google takes very long to search. Do not find a way to turn off this device security, what I believe has caused it. Followed your instructions to clean cache etc but makes no difference. Thank you in advance for your help. Regards.”
A: Are you sure it’s not just an internet connection issue? You may be experiencing slow browsing issues so please verify that first. If you have other devices, try to see if they can browse the web quicker and if so, then it’s time you did some troubleshooting with your phone.
You may try deleting the Wi-Fi connection in your phone and try to reconnect to your network. Or, you may backup your data and do the master reset.
Q: “Hi. My problem is when I charge my phone it takes almost 6 hours to be full charge and it was charge normal, now is almost a month I’m having this problem my phone is new and didn’t want screw it up and also the otg is not reading before it was reading properly and it wont detect in pc and also it used to say fast charging but now it only say charging.”
A: It’s almost certain that one of the pins in the phone’s utility port is bent or not touching the receptors of the cable. Try to see if you can straighten it out by using a toothpick or something small that could fit into the port. If you can’t fix it on your own, then see a technician about it.
Q: “My phone keeps making a notification sound when there’s no notifications. It’s not the notification remainder as I’ve switched it off. It just keeps making the noise over an over again sometimes and then stops for a bit. Also my Internet is playing up. Says I’ve no connection even though I’m on 4G. Messenger an Facebook are the worst affected. Might be their recent update that’s caused it but I’m not sure.”
A: Yes, it might be the update that caused these issues. So, the safest way to try to troubleshoot it is to wipe the cache partition:
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key.
- When the phone vibrates, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
- When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
- Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
- Press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
If that won’t work, then try to reset your phone.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.