The new #Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (#GalaxyS7Edge) will be released running the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Needless to say, it’s a new device with a newly released operating system with tons of new features. I may sound a little negative but early owners may find some problems caused by bugs and glitches in the system.
The fact is it has always been the case with the S5 and S6 (Edge) owners. This is where the Master Reset will come in handy. Owners should know how to do this very basic procedure to regain full access to their phones. But to give you a clearer insight, here are some points on when to and not to use Master Reset
When to use Master Reset
It’s best to use this procedure when…
- you’re locked out of the phone (e.g. you forgot your PIN, password, pattern, or if Fingerprint scanner fails)
- the device is stuck on boot loop and couldn’t boot up successfully
- the firmware update was successful but the phone is stuck on the logo
- the touchscreen stopped responding and there’s no way to navigate through the Settings menu
- the factory reset failed to fix a problem with the firmware or hardware
It’s better to avoid using this procedure if…
- you don’t know the Google account setup in your device
- your Google account is still in your device and the screen lock is still engaged
- you haven’t made a backup of your important files saved in the phone’s internal storage
What to do prior to Master Reset
- Backup your data, files, pictures, music or everything that’s saved in your phone’s internal storage. The S7 Edge has a microSD card slot, so if you mounted an SD card, simply move them over to make sure they won’t be deleted.
- Remove your Google account and disengage your screen locks to avoid tripping the Factory Reset Protection (FRP) or the “Anti-theft” feature as Samsung calls it.
- Make sure your phone has enough battery to finish the process because it might end up being bricked if Master Reset is interrupted.
How to do the Master Reset on Galaxy S7 Edge
Now that you’re ready, this is how you do the Master Reset on your new phone…
Step 1: Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
Step 2: Press and then hold the Home and Volume UP keys, then press and hold the Power key.
NOTE: It doesn’t matter how long you press and hold the Home and Volume Up keys, it won’t affect the phone but by the time you press and hold the Power key, that’s when the phone starts to respond.
Step 3: When the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge shows on the screen, release the Power key but continue holding the Home and Volume Up keys.
Step 4: When the Android logo shows, you may release both keys and leave the phone be for about 30 to 60 seconds.
NOTE: The “Installing system update” message may show on the screen for several seconds before displaying the Android system recovery menu. This is just the first phase of the entire process.
Step 5: Using the Volume Down key, navigate through the options and highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset.’
Step 6: Once highlighted, you may press the Power key to select it.
Step 7: Now highlight the option ‘Yes — delete all user data’ using the Volume Down key and press the Power button to select it.
Step 8: Wait until your phone is finished doing the Master Reset. Once completed, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and press the Power key.
Step 9: The phone will now reboot longer than usual.
You can now setup your phone again.
The Master Reset not just brings your phone back to its factory defaults but also reformats both the data and cache partitions to make sure all corrupt files are deleted from the system. So, if for instance the problem was caused by a corrupt cache or data and that your phone completed the update process and the new firmware is intact, the master reset can fix the problem.
It is therefore necessary for users to know how to do this troubleshooting procedure properly because a lot of problems can be fixed by it.
We hope this guide can help users out there especially those who are new to the Galaxy devices and Android. Should you have other concerns in the future, don’t hesitate to contact us as we’re always willing to help. Just fill out this form telling us the details of your problem and hit submit. We will look into it and provide suggestions and/or solutions.