#Google is now sending out the #AndroidWear 1.4 update which introduces a flurry of new features on board. Foremost among them is the support for speakers on wearables, which might be a common fixture in upcoming Android Wear smartwatches. As of now, only the #HuaweiWatch and the #ASUS #ZenWatch2 (42mm) come with onboard speakers, so the functionality is clearly very limited at the moment.
The update also allows users to send messages using their voice on a multitude of new apps such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Telegram, NextPlus and Viber. This feature only recently made its way to Google Hangouts and is certainly refreshing to see on other popularly used apps as well.
Further, Google is also introducing a bunch of other improvements with the update, which includes battery life enhancements. You can find the entire changelog below. The update should be seeding to the newer crop of wearables first, while legacy Android Wear smartwatches might have to wait slightly longer (or forever) depending on the manufacturer.
- Official changelog for Android Wear 1.4:
- Ability to play sounds and take calls on watches with a speaker
- Support for sending WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber, Telegram, and Nextplus messages with your voice or via touch
- New gestures to control your watch with one hand
- Battery life improvements
- Language options for Mandarin, Cantonese, Indonesian, Polish, Dutch, and Thai
Source: Android Blog