In this post, I will address some app-related issues with the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (#Samsung #GalaxyS6Edge). The most common is the crashes, which is often characterized by errors like “Unfortunately, app has stopped.” In the first problem, the owner encountered the error indicating that Touchwiz (Samsung’s UI for its high-end devices) crashed and then other apps followed suit. Read on to learn more about this problem and how to fix it.
For other problems, visit and browser our S6 Edge troubleshooting page where we put all issues we addressed. Find ones that are related to yours and use the suggest solutions. If they won’t work or if you can find issues related to what you currently have, then contact us. Just fill up this questionnaire here and hit Submit.
Here are the problems I addressed in this post…
- Third-party and pre-installed apps crashing on brand new S6 Edge
- Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC M2IA-NCKS-MMXOK]
- Galaxy S6 Edge Bluetooth connectivity with BMW 3 series unstable
- Galaxy S6 Edge has issues with Flip Cover Control app
- Darker shades are pixelated after an update
- Maps won’t load and screen stays grey
Problem: Brand new replacement S6 Edge Phone. Even before installing any of the apps, I was getting the “Unfortunately, Touch Wiz Stopped Working” Error. Observed while watching the phone with no interaction or prompts: It appears to restarts itself. The icons would disappear for a second and then come back.
Installed Outlook. While attempting to setup an account I got the “Unfortunately, Outlook has stopped.” I was finally able to connect to my account. Now, whenever I try to read or compose messages it simply quits. Once in awhile I will get the “Unfortunately” message.
Same deal with Garmin Connect. “Unfortunately, Connect has stopped.” And then it would simply quit out of it. Same deal with Facebook.
What I have already tried:
- Taking it to the store and did the factory reset twice.
- Replace the SIMS card.
- Called warranty department, and I was told this was a known Android software issue and there is an update in the works.
- Did all of the cache clearing default resets for touchwiz and all of the apps. Tried different Launchers as well. Home and Easy Home. etc.
So far nothing has worked.
Answer: It’s apparently a firmware issue and you have no other option but to have that unit replaced again. Your provider’s technicians have something to do about it as they’re authorized and have sufficient knowledge to flash the firmware in the device but since they don’t offer technical help, replacement is the only option left for you.
These devices were built in batches and it’s expected “some” units have defects out of the factory that’s why Samsung offers a grace period wherein the owner is eligible to receive a brand new replacement.
As for us end-users, there’s nothing we can do about it because if we attempted to flash the firmware manually and trip the Knox counter, you couldn’t claim warranty for your brand new phone.
Problem: Can not install any new apps or apps I had on my recent phone. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC M2IA-NCKS-MMXOK]).
Answer: This problem is account related and there’s not much you can do about it. However, if you have another Google account, you can set it up on your phone and use it to download apps. There were reports from owners who encountered this issue that removing the account in question and setting it up again will fix the problem, so it’s worth trying. But I advice you not to go further by wiping the cache and data of the Google Services Framework because that’s not gonna work.
Another good thing to do is call Google and report the problem and inquire about how long the problem will last. More often, Google representatives will give you an overview of the problem and ETA and you might even receive an email once the problem has been sorted out.
Problem: Hi. My car a ’13 plate BMW 3 series, used to have a very stable and good connection with my S6 Edge, But after the last update the connectivity has become unstable, Calls now only last between 2-4min before the connectivity is lost, but the call is still on the phone and reconnects after about 30s. The contacts have now been removed from the car and it won’t sync them. My emails used to display on the car, but this functionality has gone. I need all of these functions for my work, and they used to be stable, but now they have been removed. Any ideas on how to get them resolved? Cheers, Howard.
Answer: Apparently, Howard, this is a Bluetooth issue and the recent firmware update to your phone may have brought new update to Bluetooth. The best thing to do is call BMW and inquire about new updates for the Bluetooth in your car. If there are no updates available for your car, then you will have to downgrade your phone to the previous firmware that worked well with your car. Doing so may void the warranty but I think it’s worth it.
Problem: I downloaded and app called flip cover control, it’s supposed to activate and deactivate the phone when opened and closed. It worked the first few times then stopped. When I tried to uninstall it gives the option to deactivate, when I click that a message appears saying ‘this app is a device administrator and must be deactivated before installing’ so I don’t know what to do.
Troubleshooting: Just open the app interface and hit the toggle switch from On to Off to deactivate it. If that wouldn’t work, then force close the device by going to the application manager. Should it continue to give more problems, clear its cache and data, uninstall it and download a fresh copy from the Play Store.
Problem: I recently updated my phone to the android 5.1.1 operating system. I began the update at night then went to sleep, when I woke up in the morning the screen was looking all pixelated but only in the dark areas on the screen. For example when I was scrolling through Facebook I am able to see all of the colors on photos and videos exept for the really dark shades which just appear pixelated. I haven’t dropped the phone at all and this issue has only arisen since updating. I can send photos to people that look perfectly normal but it is only my phone on which they become pixelated. I was told wiping the cache partition might work, which it did for maybe an hour, then the issue started to occur again. Want to avoid the factory reset at all costs because it would take forever to put all my photos, apps and music back on there. Thank you.
Troubleshooting: I encountered an issue like this before and we didn’t do the master reset to fix it but we wiped the cache partition. So try this first:
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key.
- When the phone vibrates, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
- When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
- Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
- Press the Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
I hope this helps.
Problem: When the apps go to the map portion, the screen appears to try to load the map with Google appearing in the lower left corner but no information shows, the map stays all grey. I have uninstalled and re-installed both apps with no change and rebooted the phone.
Answer: It seems like your internet connection is really slow that it can’t load the maps. If, however, your connection is good and fast and you’re still having this problem, I suggest you do the master reset:
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys together.
- When the device powers on and displays ‘Power on logo’, release all keys and the Android icon will appear on the screen.
- Wait until the Android Recovery Screen appears after about 30 seconds.
- Using the Volume Down key, highlight the option, ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and press the Power key to select it.
- Press the Vol Down button again until the option ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted and then press the Power key to select it.
- After the reset is complete, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and hit the Power key to restart the phone.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. We support every Android device available and we are serious in what we do. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.