Since the Samsung Galaxy S4 was rolled out several years back, it is apparent that many users are not aware what the functionality are of other features and how they work in their device. We come up with this tutorial to provide an easy reference for our loyal readers who are still, one way or another, finding it hard to familiarize their powerful smartphone at this time.
In this post, we deem it important to let you know how to do these 11 important features in your device:
- How to add and Delete shortcuts in your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to add and remove widgets on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to Add or Remove a Folder from the Samsung Galaxy S4 Home Screen
- How to change Wallpapers in your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to update a Samung Galaxy S4 using KIES
- How to use split screen feature on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to capture a screenshot on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to Reboot a Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to capture photos using Voice on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- How to use Dual Camera Mode in Galaxy S4
- Using your Samsung Galaxy S4 as a TV remote controller
- Open the Apps icon and select an app that you want to place in your Home screen.
- After choosing an app, just press and hold it to remove it from the apps folder. Don’t you worry about deleting it from apps folder as your device will copy it automatically.
- When you are back at the Home screen again, just continue to press and hold the app icon until you can find a spot in the screen where you want to place it.
- When you’re on the area of the screen where you want to place the shortcut, just simply release it to create a new shortcut.
Note: To remove certain shortcuts you can press and hold the icon and drag it over to the garbage can located at the top of the screen.
- From Home screen, simply press and hold the apps button located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- When Text widgets pop-up on the top right corner of the screen, just tap it to show available widgets on the screen.
- To detach a widget, just press and hold it and you are brought back to the Home screen.
- To place it on the right spot, simply drag the widget and release it to the spot where you it placed.
Note: To remove a widget from the Home screen, you can press and hold it until the garbage can will appear at the top of the screen. Just like shortcuts, dragging a widget to the garbage can icon deletes it.
- From the Home screen, press and hold the part of the where there are no shortcuts or apps until the Menu appears on the screen.
- On the Menu, tap the folder tab.
- Enter the name of the folder that you want.
- After the name is entered, click OK.
Note: To remove the folder, just press and hold it then drag it to the garbage can icon located at the top of the screen.
- From Home screen, press and hold a blank area in the screen.
- When the Menu appears, tap Set Wallpaper.
- Select the source of your wallpaper. There normally are three sources: Gallery, Wallpaper, Live Wallpapers. Selecting any of these will bring you to your collection of wallpapers.
- Look for the option that says Apply to the Home Screen, Lock Screen or both.
- After selecting wallpaper that you want, simply tap the Home key to check your Wallpaper.
If you cannot update your Samsung Galaxy S4 via Over the Air (OTA) for some reason, your second option is by using Samsung Kies. If you are on a limited data plan, updating your Samsung Galaxy S4 via Kies is the best available options for you. This tutorial will give you the necessary steps to complete it in a few minutes. First, you must ensure that you have all the requirements:
- a USB or micro USB cable that came along with your device when you first purchased it. If you don’t have the original cable anymore, you can use any USB cable.
- A good working computer.
- Internet connection (in case you need to update your computer drivers or download some software). This is optional.
- Copy of your personal data. This means that before you do the procedure make sure that you have a backup of all ofyour important files. There’s always that small chance that you will lose everything during or after the update so it’s better safe than sorry, right?
Now, here are the steps on how to do the update itself:
- Download and install KIES software in your computer.
- After installing KIES, open it up.
- Connect the device to the computer using your USB cable.
- If it’s the first time connecting your device to the computer, you have to wait for a few minutes to completely install necessary drivers.
- Notifications will show up if there are available updates to be made in your device. After clicking update, warning statements will pop up on the screen and you can hit confirm to continue.
- Click the start update button.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the update and hit the confirm button when it shows up to finish the installation.
Note: While waiting for the upgrade to complete, you can just simply check the official Android OS page to confirm if your device has received the latest software upgrade.
This tutorial provides steps on how to split the screen of the device, also known as Multi-viewing feature. Through this feature, a user can watch a video and check emails or browse the web all at the same time without the need to re-open another screen or tab. This feature makes Samsung Galaxy S4 unique compared to other Android devices that are available in the market today. Want to try in your Galaxy S4? Just follow these steps:
Enable split screen
- Drag down the Notification panel located at the top of the screen.
- Underneath the clock you can see 5 icons. Drag all of them to the left side of the screen.
- When icon named Multi window shows up on the screen, press and hold it using your finger. The icon will change its color to light green if it’s active.
- Press the Home button or drag the Notification panel up to return to the Home screen of the device.
How to use split screen
Now that the split screen of the device is already active, continue to the steps below to know how to use this feature:
- From Home screen, press the semi-circle icon located on the left side of the screen.
- Choose an app that you want to run by tapping it
- Choose another app by tapping as well, then press and hold on the icon until it detaches from the menu.
- Drag the app where you will be placing the it to and release.
- To change the size of the windows, press and hold the gray line that separate both apps. Alternatively, you can also tap the gray line to show the other options for the split screen like Switch place, maximize active window and close active window. You can try to cycle through each one of them to discover for yourself which one fits your taste.
One of the best assets that Samsung Galaxy S4 has is the camera. If you’re an S4 user and loves to capture photos, then this is the perfect timing in which, you can explore more about other capabilities of the camera in your device. There are two methods how to take screenshots in a Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Press and hold the Power key and Home keys simultaneously.
- Press and hold both keys for a few seconds.
- When a screenshot has been taken, the device’s screen will flash and you will hear a sound.
The first method above is one of the easiest ways how to take screenshot from your device. The next step that we will be providing is more complicated but nevertheless rewarding under a different circumstance. If you want to try it, follow this procedure.
- From Home screen, go to Settings>My device>Motion and Gestures>Palm Motion
- Make sure that you enable the feature by simply sliding the box from from left to right.
- To capture the screen, slide your palm from left to right.
- Now, the device will flash again and make a sound to verify that the device has successfully captured a screenshot.
Note: To check your captured screenshots you can simply go to the Gallery and enter the folder that you newly created.
As an Android user there will always come a time when you notice that your powerful Samsung Galaxy S4 appears to have slowed down a bit. There is usually nothing extraordinary about it as any electronic device like a smartphone may do so from time to time. Most of the time, when we encounter different kinds of issues in our device the very first thing that we must do to simply reboot the device. Here are the steps to follow on how to reboot your Galaxy S4.
- Press and hold the power key until Menu will appear on the screen.
- Now, tap Restart.
- Then, there will be another popup on the screen where you can confirm if you want to continue the procedure.
- Tap restart.
If you want to do the other step to reboot the device then, you can simply turn the phone off from the same Menu and turn on again.
Are you aware that your Samsung Galaxy S4 can capture a photo by using your voice? This feature is quite useful for users that love taking pictures without tapping a shutter button in the device. Before you can use it, you need to setup first the feature. If you have not tried this before or new to Android environment just follow the steps below.
- Open the Camera App.
- Tap Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap the Settings cog or icon located at the right top corner of the screen.
- Scroll to Voice control and make sure to turn it on so that the feature will work. You need to put a check on the box next to Camera. Once you see the small microphone icon, that indicates that you can start using your voice to tell your phone to make a shot.
Note: After you enable the feature you can right away use it by saying “Smile”, “Cheese”, “Capture” or “Shoot” to take a photo without touching any button on the device.
When Samsung Galaxy S4 was rolled out in the market, many are not aware of the many amazing features in their smartphone including the Dual Camera Mode and how it works. This feature will allow a user to capture a photo or video in front or taking a shot with your face at the same time. To enable this feature you can simply follow these steps:
- Tap Camera app and make sure that you are in Auto mode.
- Tap the Dual Camera button located in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Now, you need to focus the rear camera on the object that you want to capture. Make sure that the front-facing camera captures your face clearly on the opposite side.
- Select your preferred photo frame that appears on the screen. By default, there are 12 photo frames that you can use after tapping the arrow button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, to capture your photo, just press the shutter button.
When you say TV remote controller, the first thing that pops up in your mind is a gadget that you’re always using when turning on your television and switching from one channel to the other. Well, you may want to change your mind about it. Your Samsung Galaxy S4 is so powerful that it can even control your television set at this time. If you’re tired of reaching out for your remote control from the other side of the table, or if you simply forget where you placed it, your Samsung Galaxy S4 can easily help you switch channels without leaving that couch.
Through the WatchOn app, the device can be used as a remote control after you have set the feature up successfully. Here are the steps on how to enable the app:
- Open the WatchOn app from the app drawer.
- Follow the instructions, select your country, and hit Next.
- Complete the instructions until you are ready to proceed to selecting your TV.
- Select the brand name of your television and point your S4 to your TV set.
- With your TV powered on, press the Power button that will appear on the phone screen and wait for 5-10 seconds.
- Hit Yes if your TV is already running.
- Now, you need to follow the instructions and must give accurate information about the source of your connection (direct TV connection or cable connection).
- Lastly, you will be routed to an option to enable Infra Red. Just tap More Info to complete the set up.
We are among the very few people who offer free Android support online and we are serious about it. So, feel free to contact us regarding your concerns, questions and problems. You may reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post on our Facebook and Google+ pages.