Sony has just announced the arrival of Android 5.0 Lollipop for the Xperia Z3 and the Xperia Z3 Compact smartphone. These are two of the latest flagship smartphones announced by the Japanese manufacturer back in September last year, so they’re the first on the list to get the update.
Beyond this, users of the Xperia Z2, Xperia Z1 and the Xperia Z1 Compact/Z1S can expect to see the update over the coming weeks. Sony has listed out all the changes that the new update will introduce in a blog post.
- Fresh, streamlined looks – based on Google’s material design, but retaining our minimalistic approach to interface and application design
- New look notifications and lock screen – with fully customizable settings, so you only get the information you really need
- Multi user profiles and guest mode – making it easy for family and friends to use your device, or the creation of dual environments for work and play…
- Android for Work – not only are business-ready Xperia smartphones and tablets unique devices for work – with waterproof form factors, great battery life and productivity features – they will now also be part of the Android for Work ecosystem
- Better storage control and customisation – with the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – giving you more control over your content, particularly useful for devices with slightly less space.
Verizon’s version of the Xperia Z3, might not see the update immediately as it has to receive approval from the carrier, so don’t hold your breath if you own this variant of the Sony flagship.