Good day dear readers! Welcome to the second part of our Samsung Galaxy S6 tutorials and user guides. In this post, we will elaborate the basics on the phone’s Home and Apps screen features and functions.
Here is a list of topics you can find in this post:
- How to change the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen theme
- How to add widgets to the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen
- How to change Home screen grid size on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
- How to add/create new folder on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen
- How to deactivate or turn off Briefing Feature on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen
- How to Create new Folder on the Apps screen
- How to Add more Apps to a new Folder on the Apps screen
- How to Remove Folders on the Apps screen
Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home and Apps Screen Guide
The methods illustrated below are applicable to both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge variants. So users of either device may refer to this tutorial.
There are various themes you can apply to the S6/S6 Edge device, whenever you wish to change the visual elements of the Home screen, locked screen and icons. This way you can always make your phone look different.
Follow these steps if you want to give it a try this time:
- Tap and hold an empty area on the Home Alternately, you can pinch your fingers together to access other available options.
Important Note: The interface’s visual elements including colors, wallpapers, and icons will change based on the theme you choose.
- Next, tap the Themes menu located beneath the screen.
- You will now be prompted with the Themes screen. From the Themes screen, you may choose to either select a preloaded theme or download more themes for your device. If you want to select a preloaded or built-in theme, tap any of the given themes you prefer. If you want to download more themes, tap Store.
- Tap Agree to accept the terms and conditions. (Only necessary for first time visit to the store).
- After you tap the Agree button, you will be prompted with the Theme Store menu with available themes you may choose to download. Tap to select a theme you want to download.
Important Note: You are required to log in to your Samsung Account prior to downloading themes from the Store.
- Wait until the download is complete and then apply the new theme for your Home Screen.
Follow the same steps the next time you want to change the theme for your Home screen.
Adding widgets for frequently used applications in your device is one way to have faster and better access to any of these files.
The following steps will walk you through adding more widgets to the Home screen of your Galaxy S6/S6 edge.
- Tap and hold on an empty area on the Home screen, or pinch your fingers together to view and access more options available.
- Select Widgets from the given options.
- Tap and hold a widget you want to add to the Home screen.
- Position the widget where you want it to be placed on the Home screen.
You should then see the newly added widget on your phone’s Home screen.
Follow the same steps if you wish to add another widget to your Home screen.
To display more or less apps on the Home screen, you can change the size of the grid from default to 4×4, 4×5 or 5×5, depending on the number of apps you want to display on the screen.
Here’s how to change your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen grid size to any of the size options:
- Tap and hold an empty area on the Home You can also pinch your fingers together to view and access available options.
- Tap to select Screen grid to continue.
- Now choose the grid size you want to display. Each of the options has their respective previews so you can easily decide which grid size to select.
- Once you’ve selected your preferred grid size, tap Apply to save your changes.
Creating folders from the Home screen will help you provide quick and easy access to frequently used apps and files in a more organized manner.
You can easily create new folders from your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen with the following simple steps:
- Get to the Home screen to get started.
- Tap and hold an app on the Home screen and then drag it over to another app.
- Drop the app when a folder name displays around the apps. When you do so, a new folder that contains the selected apps will be created.
- To enter a folder name, tap the area above the horizontal line.
- If you want to change the color of newly created folder, tap on the color palette icon on the upper-right corner and choose any of the given color you prefer.
- You now have a new folder created on the Home screen.
To place or add more apps to the new folder, tap and hold another app and then drag it towards that folder.
With the Briefing Flipboard, you can view the latest articles in various categories and get up to date on interesting news. But having the Briefing Flipboard permanently on the Home screen isn’t very appealing to everyone. Good thing there is a simply way to get rid of it.
Follow these steps to deactivate or turn off Briefing feature on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Home screen:
- Tap and hold an empty space on the Home screen to get started. Alternately, you can just pinch on the Home screen.
- On the next screen, swipe your finger to the right.
- Look for the checkbox at the top of the Flipboard Briefing panel and deselect it to remove the check mark. Doing so will likewise, deactivate the app.
Working with the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Apps screen
The new Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are crafted by UX design’s simplification. In fact, you will notice the Apps screen only supports the Edit menu wherein you can move or uninstall items and create folders.
Below is a quick guide for you to create folders, add more apps to the folder, and remove folders on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Apps screen.
- To get started, tap Apps from the Home
- Tap Edit to continue.
- Next, tap and hold an app, and then drag it over another app.
- Then, drop the app when a folder frame appears around the apps. Doing so will create a new folder containing the selected applications.
- Now tap the area above the horizontal line, and then enter a folder name.
- To change the folder color, tap the color change icon.
- Choose the color you prefer to use.
- And you should see the Folder color has been changed.
To add more apps to the new folder you created on the Apps screen, simply tap and hold another app, and then drag it to the new folder you create.
Follow these steps to remove unnecessary folders on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Apps screen:
- Tap Apps from the Home
- Next, tap Edit (Note: Edit menu is found on the upper-right corner of the Apps screen).
- On the next screen, tap the folder you want to remove.
- To remove the application from the folder, touch and drag the icon for the application to an empty space within the folder.
- You should now see the app is removed from the folder. Please note that the folder will also be removed if there is only one app remaining within that folder.
- When you’re finished removing apps from the folder, tap DONE to complete action.
And that covers everything for this post! Please keep posted for more tips, tutorials and answers to frequently asked questions on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge smartphones in this site.