We previously featured the Minix Neo X8 Android TV box last April and now we just got a unit which we could test. The particular unit that we have is the Minix Neo X8-H which comes with hardware Dolby DTS video decoding support. This device is one of the next generation Android TV box products of the company, the other being the Neo X8.
First I must say that the company did an excellent job with this product. The packaging is compact and has all the necessary information on the outside regarding the product.
Opening the box you will be greeted with the box itself. If you are familiar with the Neo X7 then you will know that the X8-H looks the same in physical design. What’s different though is the internal hardware which is getting a big boost.
- Processor: Quad Core Cortex A9r4 Processor
- GPU: Octo Core Mali-450 GPU
- Memory: 2GB DDR3
- Internal Storage: 16GB eMMC
- Wireless Connectivity: 802.11n Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.8GHz), Bluetooth 4.0
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
- Video Output: HDMI 1.4b, up to @ 30fps
- Audio Output: via HDMI 1.4b, 3.5mm stereo jack, optical SPDIF
- Peripheral Interface: RJ-45 Ethernet Jack (10/100Mbps) – Supports hotspot sharing via Wi-Fi, SD/MMC card reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41), Support HDMI-CEC, USD 2.0 port x 3, OTG port x 1, Microphone Jack, Headphone Jack, IR receiver (remote included)
- Power: DC 5V, 3A adapter included (CE, FCC, CCC Certified)
- Supported Video Format: DAT/ MPEG/ MPE/ MPG/ TS/ TP/ VOB/ ISO/ AVI/ MP4/ MOV/ 3GP/ FLV/ MKV/ M2TS/ MTS/ M4V/ WMV/ ASF/ RM/ RMVB
- Supported Audio Format: DD/ DD+/ DTS/ MP2/ MP3/ WMA/ WAV/ OGG/ OGA/ FLAC/ ALAC/ APE/ AAC
Taking the device out of the box you will see its other accessories. There’s the detachable dual-band antenna, 5V power adapter, HDMI cable, micro-USB cable, OTG cable, and the remote control (batteries not included). An instruction manual is also included.
Setting up the device is quite easy. All you need to do make the necessary connections such as power, HDMI (box to TV), antenna. Turn on the X8-H and make sure your TV is set to HDMI and you will soon be greeted by the home screen.
One of the main features of the X8-H is that it is able to easily handle 4K content. If you are using a TV set with 4K2K UHD resolution and you have a 4K resolution video file then you will be able to play it.
As a media hub this is definitely one of the most impressive devices out in the market today. Aside from playing all forms of video formats it is able to do so flawlessly. You can choose from the different media players that come pre-installed with this device such as XBMC. Navigating the menu can be easily done with the IR remote control that comes included with the package. Since we also received the Mini Neo M1 2.4GHz Wireless GyroMouse we used this in navigating the system since it is much easier to use.
Since this device has access to the Google Play store it is able to easily download the various apps and games. Speaking of games, it is capable of handling most of the graphically intense titles in the market today. All you need is a Bluetooth game controller and you will be able to enjoy playing games such as Dead Trigger or Modern Combat.
Overall this is one of the best Android TV box in the market today. It’s easy to use, sturdy, and comes with a powerful hardware that’s able to handle a wide variety of media files