The battle to come up with the better mobile processor has just heated up as Huawei officially announced its Kirin 920 SoC in a press event held in Beijing. We’ve been hearing about this chip since last April when Huawei’s Senior VP announced that the company was coming up with a new flagship smartphone which would use its own new octa-core processor.
What makes the Huawei Kirin 920 interesting is that the company claims it can outperform the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805. This latest chip is composed of four Cortex-A15 cores with clock speeds of between 1.7 and 2.0 GHz, and four Cortex-A7 cores with clock speeds of 1.3-1.6 GHz. The graphics side is handled by the Mali-T628 graphics chip on-board. It supports a total of 5 different networks which includes TD-LTE/LTE FDD / TD-SCDMA / WCDMA / GSM. It even supports LTE Cat 6 which can provide download speeds of up to 300 Mbps.
Some of the key features of the Kirin 920 are as follows
- 1.7 GHz to 2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex A15 + 1.3 GHz to 1.6 GHz ARM Cortex A7
- Mali T628 MP4 quad-core GPU
- Built-in Tensilica HiFi 3 DSP Core
- Supports display resolution of up to 2560 x 1600 pixels
- Up to 20MP camera image signal processor (ISP), 480 Mpixels/s capture rate
- 4K Ultra HD video recording at 30fps, H.265 codec
- IntelliSense I3 for low-power operation when gathering data from accelerometer, gyroscope, compass etc.
- Integrated Multi-mode 4G LTE Modem – Category 6 FDD / TDD
- TD-LTE/LTE FDD / TD-SCDMA / WCDMA / GSM
Early benchmark tests of this chip shows that it can outperform its rivals such as the Snapdragon 801 Exynos 5420, MediaTek MT6592 and even the Snapdragon 805.
The company is expected to use this chip in its upcoming smartphone called the Huawei Mulan. Only a few details surrounding this device are known so far however it is reportedly going to have a 1080p display, 3GB of RAM, and a 13MP camera with 4K video recording. An AnTuTu benchmark result of the Mulan shows that it outperforms other flagship models in the market today such as the HTC One (M8) and the Samsung Galaxy S5.