Customers of US Cellular who own the Galaxy SIII should be pleased to know that the KitKat update for their device is now rolling out. The OTA update bumps the device to Android 4.4.2 with baseband version R530UVXCND4. This latest update brings several new features to the device such as a more user friendly interface, faster multitasking, new messaging experience, and wireless printing capabilities.
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update includes the following key features
- Phone Dialer: The new phone app automatically prioritizes your contacts based on the people you talk to the most. You can also search for nearby places and businesses, your contacts, or people in your Google Apps domain.
- Camera: Enhanced the “touch to focus” option with a new circular, on screen control that can be dragged by your finger around the viewfinder to adjust a photo’s focus and exposure.
- Hangouts: With the new Hangouts app, all of your SMS and MMS messages are together in the same app, alongside your other conversations and video calls.
- Emoji everywhere: Sometimes words can’t express how you feel. For that, there’s Emoji, the colorful Japanese characters, now available on Google Keyboard.
There are two ways of upgrading the US Cellular Galaxy SIII. Customers can either choose an OTA upgrade or they can connect their smartphone to a computer.
OTA Upgrade Procedure
The following requirements must be met before the device can be upgraded using his procedure
- The device must have a registered Google account
- The device must be connected to a Wi-Fi network to download the update
- Go to settings & select About Device
- From About Device select Software Update
- Select OK and follow the on screen prompts
PC Upgrade Procedure
These requirements must be met before the upgrade can be accomplished
- Desktop/Laptop computer running either Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, or XP
- All firewall & anti-virus programs should be disabled
- Administrative privileges required to download & install software including drivers
- An available USB port on the PC that supports 2.0 USB
- Fully charged battery on the SIII
This upgrade procedure leaves most of the user data intact such as photos, music, contacts, documents, and others. There are instances though that data may be deleted so it is important to back up everything first before continuing with this procedure.
- Download Simple Upgrade Tool
- Install Simple Upgrade Tool
- Click on the Samsung Simple Upgrade Tool icon on your Desktop.
- Remove the battery from your device, then replace the battery in the device.
- Plug your USB data cable into your PC. Press and hold the Volume down key on your device. While holding the Volume down key, plug the USB data cable into your device. Hold the Volume down key until the following screen appears. Select Next.
- Press the Volume up key. The downloading screen will appear. Select Next.
- Device drivers will be installed. Do not unplug the USB data cable from the device. Once drivers are installed select Next.
- Press Start Software Download button to start the upgrade process which usually takes around 15 minutes.
- A popup message will show that the software upgrade is complete. Select OK, then select Exit to exit the Simple Upgrade Tool.